1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Hypertech Max Energy MPG's

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by J_strike81, Feb 1, 2009.

1. J_strike81

J_strike81 New Member

So I have recently installed the Hypertech Max Energy on my '99 5.3L Sierra. I set it up for regular fuel tuning, adjusted the tire size, and shift firmness and left everything else alone for now.

I've only had one opportunity to do a real accurate MPG test, but on that one I saw a increase from 11mpg up to 13.8mpg driving at 60mph. To me this is a more than satisfactory gain, considering some people have reported no mph gains.

My question is, to those of you who have the Max Energy installed, is it worth it to run the Premium tuning? That is, has anyone seen a increase in MPG from switching from the 87 to 91 octane tuning?
  2. retired2001

retired2001 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

I agree that 2.8% is well worth it! I had the Hypertech on a '96 350R Chevy I had and got close to that. I never tried the "premium" though. Good luck!
  3. MWright936

MWright936 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I'm actually experimenting with this right now. I started filling up with premium a couple weeks ago, and I changed to the premium tune last week. I actually haven't seen any improvement in gas mileage at all compared to the regular tune. It does seem to run a little smoother and maybe have a little better "get up and go", but the mileage stayed the same.

Of course, I've been less and less "fuel concious" lately, so my foot may have gotten heavier as well. Definitely not a scientific study, but that's what I've found. I'll probably stick with it unless gas prices start to go back up again.
  4. MWright936

MWright936 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Welcome to the site by the way!
  5. spazzoid13

spazzoid13 Rockstar

I just got the max energy programmer, and all i did was program the "regular" fuel setting. left everything else alone, i gues si was originally under the impression that it would tell you your MPG..not some obscure way to figure it out.
    wasnt sure if i wanted to mess with the shift points/firmness/rpm limit. anyone got some good points to set it to?
  6. Slow1500

Slow1500 Rockstar

I have mine set to premium. I know I only have a v6 but I mainly do city driving and drive it hard most of the time. I got 19.7mpg last I checked.