Hypertech Max Energy Programmer Reviews?

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by chev-man, Oct 24, 2008.

1. chev-man

chev-man New Member

I have a 2008 GMC Sierra 5.3L Z71 and I am trading up to a 2009 GMC Sierra 6.0L Vortec Max 4X4 with the 6-speed auto tranny. Has anyone tried the Hypertech Max Energy Programmer on either of these trucks? If so, Are the gains worth noting? Mileage and power wise. Thanks to those who reply.

2. MWright936

MWright936 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I'll be getting mine in the mail today and will be posting my findings once I find what kind of gains I get. My hopes are high! :glasses:

3. adidasboy918

adidasboy918 Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

good luck Matt. I'll be waiting to hear your findings

4. ChevyFan

ChevyFan The Sheriff Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Any updates on this? Looks like we get a lot of traffic in this thread, people looking for reviews.

5. Hamelfire

Hamelfire Member

I'd like to know as well I may consider installing one if the findings are good.

6. MWright936

MWright936 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I posted my updates on this in another thread, but I'll update on here as well. Here's my story...

I first got the Hypertech Max Energy tuner and installed it (extremely easy) with the regular tune and boosted the shift firmness by 50%. I left everything else alone. I immediately noticed an increase in throttle response and acceleration. When I passed someone on the highway, I could definitely notice a difference!

After a while (after gas prices fell), I decided to start running premium (93 octane) fuel with the premium tune. I ran a couple tanks of premium, then re-tuned to the premium setting. I also increased the shift firmness to 75%. These are the settings I have it at now, and I love it. I didn't really notice an extreme difference between the regular and premium tune, but it did seems to have some more "pep". It definitely runs smoother at wide open throttle, where before I would sometimes get a slight clatter.

I am currently getting about 18-20 mpg. Most of those miles (about 80%) are highway, with the rest being city. If I'm easier on the pedal, I can get 20-21, but now that gas prices are so much lower, I find myself a little more heavy footed :glasses:

I never have messed with the shift points, rev limiters, or speed limiter. I may some day, but for now, the factory settings suit me well.

7. chev-man

chev-man New Member

Thanks for the resuts. I am still wanting a programmer and I have been looking into the Diablo Predator U7194. I got my 2009 GMC Sierra 4X4 EXT CAB with 6.0L 6-Speed. Has anyone had any experience with my truck configures and a programmer?

8. Tdaz250

Tdaz250 Rockstar 100 Posts

I've heard that tunes are supposed to really wake up the 6.0 engine. Predator and hypertech are the most popular mass produced programmers, and everyone says that custom tunes will wipe the floor with Premium tunes by mass produced programmers. I myself am looking into getting a tune from wait4meperformance.com.

9. 2ToNe04

2ToNe04 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Hey how was your programmer? :) sufficient gains worth buying?

10. AutoAnything

AutoAnything Member 2 Years 100 Posts

Hey GMTC,
    I realize this thread is a bit older, but nonetheless still relevant! Since reviews are such a great source of information when researching a product, I thought I would post a link to reviews for the popular models of tuners available at AutoAnything. For any product questions or pricing, please contact our sales team or live chat agents.

*Hint, if you input your vehicle when on our site, the reviews will sort with your vehicle reviews first!