Hypertech tunners, anyone have anything good or bad to say?

Discussion in 'Programmers & Tuning' started by Dirty Dog, May 5, 2012.

1. JayBee

JayBee New Member

Yeah the fact you can change the gears, adjust for tire size, and change the shift points for wide open throttle is really nice and easy to use. Of course their tune is on there for regular gas or premium. This is a very easy to use tuner. If it only offered on the max energy 1/4 mile time, 0-60 time, and other features like that would make it even better. But for increased power and gas mileage and the ability to do what I previously mentioned is a great value. Looks like I'm gonna end up increasing my hwy mpgs +4 or 5 and city +2 or 3 on my 2012 1500.

2. Dirty Dog

Dirty Dog Member 2 Years 500 Posts ROTM Winner Platinum Contributor

:glasses:Thats Great every one,,, thanks for the input,,, now just have to track down the tech i was working with, and see if we can get this rolling....

3. reggiecab2000

reggiecab2000 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

other than adjusting shift firmness, re-gearing for my 4.10's, correcting the speedo, and taking the governor off, i really did not see much if any performance or mileage increase on my truck with the max energy :/

4. Dirty Dog

Dirty Dog Member 2 Years 500 Posts ROTM Winner Platinum Contributor

:glasses: hey Reggie,, I have also heard the same thing here from a friend of mine, he said was easy to use but saw little or even no performance enhancement
    ( but it was in a dodge):rofl:, he now uses the edge juice with attitude, and loves it,( but its still in a dodge ):no:,, but unfortunately I have not been able to get Edge products to put one in development for the colorado inline 5 ... so our choices are of one right now... thats with Hyper tec.. as they have one in beta testing....

5. Coach24

Coach24 Rockstar 3 Years 5000 Posts

Hey Dirty maybe call and see if they will use you as a tester. No out of pocket cash and the oppotunity to try it and review it. I know we were able to get cummins and a few others to use our fleet as a test fleet and it was truly cost saving. When you get free tires for class 8' and trailers it is a good thing. Not to mention free ISX engines

6. undertheradar

undertheradar Rockstar

I too have the hypertech max energy. Just ran my first full tank on a z71 2010 5.3l 4x4 crew with 285/65/18 Nittos, 3.08 diff. Instantly notice the shift points are alot better. Now truck will go into OD pulling small trailer. Just got 440 miles out of this tank of gas before the low fuel light came on. I DO THINK the mileage is off a little bit though. It has VASTLY improved my truck and fuel economy. I will see next time I'm out on the highway where there is a "measured mile" post. I think the odometer is a fraction fast. but even if it is, its not by much. NO WAY SHAPE OR FORM would my truck get 440 miles on a tank of gas, my low fuel light usually comes on around 360 to 380. I am impressed.

7. undertheradar

undertheradar Rockstar

8. clinton_hedrick

clinton_hedrick New Member

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but looking at the discussion, this tuner doesn't really help engine performance, just with transmission shift points? So it would be worthless to get for a manual? I'm just curious because I saw one on craigslist for 50 bucks.

9. Sierraowner5.3

Sierraowner5.3 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

i say get it for the $50, see if you think it helps, if not you can always sell it again.

Alex

10. Scooter

Scooter Rockstar 100 Posts

I had it for my 06 Silvy, wasn't to impressed with the fact I notice that there was no performance gain, although I did like being able to adjust spedo for tire size and firm up the shiftness of the tranny...Although After I regeared to a 4.56 it would take. I updated the tuner and still couldnt get it to change the gearing. It has the option just couldnt get it to take...I ended up getting in touch with Justin at BlackBear Performance for a custom tune...They have a EFI live option but I didnt need that option at the time...NIGHT and DAY to performance gains and I just love it...We were able to program the tow/haul mode to a more agressive mode, for playing around and wasting gas and tires.