1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

hypertech vs. superchips

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by Slow1500, Apr 14, 2008.

1. Slow1500

Slow1500 Rockstar

I was just curious as to what your opinions are on the two tuning products and what experiences you may have with them. The reason to my interest in these is because I would rather not spend that much on actual "tuning software" nor have to buy a laptop. I could also purchase a reprogrammed pcm but that is a pain to deal with because I did that with my grand prix for years. The only Superchips programmer that MIGHT work is limited to '06 model year...not an '07 specific(not available). Plus it's more expensive than Hypertech. The new Hypertech model can tune over 100 gm vehicles in a wide range of years...much more flexible. I can get them both at-cost from a friend at an autoparts store, with the Hypertech about 40-50bucks cheaper. I would definitely lean toward ht. I know may not be worth it b/c it's only a 4.3 but it's all I have to work with...plus it's just fun to mod.

2. Gmcsuvguy

Gmcsuvguy Rockstar 100 Posts

I don't have any experiance with the Superchip but I recently added a Hypertech Max Energy Programmer to my arsenal. Programmed my 99 s-jimmy with the 4.3 and noticed a good difference, was getting between 2-3mpg better( I am running premium fuel also now). I then put it in my 01 Yukon with a 5.3l and was amazed at the bottom end power increase, it blew me away. In my opinion the Hypertech is WELL worth the money.

3. Slow1500

Slow1500 Rockstar

Thanks a lot. The Max Energy from Hypertech is what I was talking about and leaning towards. If you could tell a difference in your 4.3 then so could I. It sounds like it's worth the money.

4. Gmcsuvguy

With the newer vehicles the programmer lets you make more changes than the older models as well, lots of choices for transmission shift points, firmness, timing, etc.

5. omegafiler

omegafiler Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

I've had both on my YD, and the Flashpaq was way better overall. It had a better handheld, easier to use, backlit display, faster, etc. Oh, and it had way more HP/TQ than the HT did. :)

Ultimately got rid of it due to a 1-2 shift lag issue they couldn't fix. And the HT was just too mild for my money. So I went the custom tune route and haven't looked back.

6. sierraman

sierraman Rockstar 100 Posts

i have the hypetech, love it

7. Slow1500

Slow1500 Rockstar

Yeah I've read about the superchips gettin a tad more power out of it but supposedly the newer HT max energy tuner is much better than the 3rd gen. Besides, I can't even order the older tuner anymore...not available from where I will get it.

8. omegafiler

omegafiler Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

I wouldn't get the MaxEngery hoping for any more power. :) I called Hypertech awhile ago when they came out. They basically said it has the exact same tunes as the previous model. It's just in a new package and internet updateable.

9. Gmcsuvguy

Ultimately it is your decision based on what everyone else can tell you about their experiance. Good luck with your decision.:great:

10. finalday7

finalday7 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Omega is right on it being basically just the same tunes in a new package. I have a Max Energy and love it. Huge throttle response gain and I got almost 3mpg gain over stock. Best part is, the Max Energy comes with a 30 day money back guarntee.