1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

I-5 Bridge north of Seattle WA Collapses - Mount Vernon Bridge

Discussion in 'WA - Western Washington Chevy Fans' started by ChevyFan, May 24, 2013.

1. ChevyFan

ChevyFan November Beard Grower - Cancer Fighter Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8TOKWsEMHQ

052313skagitbridgemap2.jpg Bridge collapse in Washington State caused by 18-wheeler truck hitting span, authorities say
    Wow, I used to live up there and have been over this bridge at least 200 times going from Seattle-area to either the Bellingham or Vancouver areas, and this really is surprising that it was able to collapse so quickly like that.

They're going to have to divert traffic to the other lane or a secondary road for a long time to get around this. Just shocking that it could have gone down that easily though, this is going to a major hit to travel and traffic on I5 until they can get it fixed.

Here's the story from Fox News

MOUNT VERNON, Wash. – A truck carrying an oversize load struck a bridge on the major thoroughfare between Seattle and Canada, sending a section of the span and two vehicles into the Skagit River below, though all three occupants suffered only minor injuries.

It happened about 7 p.m. Thursday on the four-lane Interstate 5 bridge near Mount Vernon, about 60 miles north of Seattle, and disrupted travel in both directions.

Initially, it wasn't clear if the bridge just gave way on its own. But at an overnight news conference, Washington State Patrol Chief John Batiste blamed it on a tractor-trailer carrying a tall load that hit an upper part of the span.

"For reasons unknown at this point in time, the semi struck the overhead of the bridge causing the collapse," he said.

The truck made it off the bridge and the driver remained at the scene and cooperated with investigators.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/05/2...shington-state-people-in-water/#ixzz2UDvnDH13

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 24, 2013
  2. giorge

giorge Rockstar 100 Posts

That should be interesting to see how they are going to reroute traffic since it took out the bride in both directions.
    I have been up there also, I used to live in Portland and covered both OR and WA for work.

3. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

This is the first I've seen the pics.. I was on the road all night and heard about it on the radio.. WOW!!!:gasp: