I blew my transmission to hell and back again

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by Crawdaddy, Dec 1, 2007.

1. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy ↑↑↑ Has no life Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

As the title says, I now have one totally cooked tranny. I am currently stranded in Sweetwater,Texas. Tranny died 2 miles away from I-20 on US Highway 84. We're currently working on trying to either get a new tranny or figure out some way to transport the truck and the trailer with the car on it. So, if there's anyone nearby us that's able to assist us in locating/purchasing a replacement TH700R4/4L60 transmission in the localish area, that would be most awesome. I'm currently at the LaQuinta in Sweetwater TX. Truck's sitting at A1 shop. Going to eat for now. and I will update ya'll later

2. finalday7

finalday7 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Man that sux to hear. If you were back home I could help ya but you had to go to texas didn't ya.

3. Cableguy

Cableguy Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Awe man! Good luck brother, your to far away for me. :neutral:

4. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Sweetwater, damn your still west of Abilene.
    I know a few people in San Angelo but none of them are answering their phones right now. I'll continue trying to get a hold of them and PM you if they can help.
    Hate to hear your having problems.

5. dwill3015

dwill3015 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Sorry to hear about your tranny Christopher. The tranny went out in the Wife's Burban last weekend but luckily she was close to home and we were able to limp it to the repair shop with only 1st and 2nd gear.

Wish I could help you out brother!

6. GM_Guy

GM_Guy Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts ROTM Winner

sorry to hear, I hope you can get it fixed soon

7. Crawdaddy

When we were heading to Lubbock to pick up the car, it seemed like the truck had lost some of the power it had earlier that day. We diagnosed it as a possible misfire, and there was no oil in the motor, despite there being a full quantity in the motor when we started. We picked up the car, and started on our way home. My uncle thinks that it blew out because of the constant misfires causing undue strain on the tranny from the tranny up and downshift erratically from the misfiring. We are investigating possible methods to rectify our situation.

8. 84fiero123

84fiero123 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Dam dude what happened to your oil? that’s a lot of oil to use that quick? Sounds like the oil cooler line blew, and if it did you may be looking at a new engine to. Wow you really mey be in trouble.

Is the trany toasted?
    Does the fluid smell like burnt almonds?

These newer type tranies are electronically controlled and a real pain to diagnose.
    Sorry I am of little help in Texas, I do have a cousin down on the Mexican border but he is useless when it comes to vehicles.

9. Skarch

Skarch Rockstar 100 Posts

Sorry to hear that. Unfortunately all of my Lubboc connections have graduated and moved on, and the next nearest person I know is in Weatherford.

Let me know what parts you are looking for, I can hunt the local junkyards for you if you need and maybe we can get a rescue truck sent out from the DFW area!

10. Crawdaddy

As an update, I am now home, with the truck. We were able to located a Uhaul truck Monday morning to pull the trailer back to Slidell. Technically, the trailer is a 2 5/16" coupler, and the Uhaul had a welded-on 2" ball that we couldn't replace, so we pulled the trailer with too small of a ball. We loaded the Suburban as far forward on the trailer as possible to provide as much tougue weight as possible, and started towards Slidell. We made it home at 3:30am this morning in one piece. My cousin drove the car we picked up in Lubbock home with no plate or anything.

So far, we have not been able to take a moment to pull the tranny and determine the exact damage. My uncle and I theorize that the rear seal on the motor is shot, and has probably been run for a fairly long time with no oil, and that the tranny fluid pump is probably toast. The tranny fluid does not smell like burnt almonds, although none of us have/had great senses of smell. The fluid did not have a reddish tinge to it anymore. It wasn't brown persay, but the color was heading that direction. There is a fairly large quantity of some type of fluid on the front of the rearend and neighboring parts (my "back porch" lights, trailer hitch, transmission rear support brace, etc), but we haven't identified what type of fluid it is, presumably oil, but it doesn't seem to have an oily feel to it....the IMMENSE amounts of dust in Texas perhaps? The transmission is the last year 700R4 before they switched to the 4L60E, so no electronics on the tranny to worry about. My uncle looked on Phoenix Transmission's site, and it's looking like a new rebuilt transmission and torque converter is going to be about $1200 shipped with the 250 core charge. Depending on what we find out with the motor, a new crate motor may be in this truck's future too, if it'll be cheaper than rebuilding it.

I just got a call from my uncle. They pulled the truck off the trailer. To get the truck to roll backwards, he had to drop the driveshaft. So, apparently the tranny is so locked up, you can't even push/pull/drag it in neutral. We were able to pull/push it forward with little to no effort in neutral though. Sunday we will hopefully be pulling the tranny and making a damage report.

On a far-off side note....Sweetwater seems like a nice little town. Not much to do from what we saw, but we were somewhat preoccupied with other things..... I do appreciated everyone's willingness to help me when I was stuck out there. It sucks that noone was able to provide assistance, since I would have loved to have met all you fine individuals, but I made it home.