1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

I bought a new project!!

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by TRPLXL2, Nov 12, 2011.

1. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Last saturday I went to a garage sale, and ending up buying some christmas lights and a 2001 Oldsmobile Alero for $500!! Here's what I got for $500......

2001 Oldsmobile Alero
    3400 series v6/auto transmission
    tan cloth interior/ power everything including moonroof
    black exterior
    18" aluminum alloy wheels
    clean and clear title
    111,803 miles

The bad..............

blown intake gasket
    rust under fuel door, 2 small spots on the front of the hood
    rear passenger side door will not open
    Dex Cool melt down literally

I went to pull a part today and scored majorly

new icm and 3 coils
    lower intake manifold
    6 injectors
    iac
    MAF sensor
    TOTAL:$100

I am learning a lot from this car actually, my biggest screw up was the intake. I bought the new revised intake gaskets which are stainless steel, and it had new torque requirements on the new bolts I got. Well I overlooked that 3 of the steps were lb-ft, and the last step was lb-in. I overtorqued the diagonal bolts, and cracked the intake in two spots... Lesson learned I asked someone and they explained the conversion, and come to find out it was only 18lbs. and not 115lbs. like I thought.

All In all between body and paint work, engine work and miscellaneous stuff I will have under $1,000 total in the car and it's super nice.
    I am trying to broaden my horizons with mechanical, but I am cursed with screwed up hands so I am limited to how fast I can work. Tomorrow I am putting it all back together with the new intake and such, I also put a new radiator in and am hoping the heater core was alright...
  2. Coach24

Coach24 Rockstar 3 Years 5000 Posts

Don't skimp . Replace that heater core as it is usually the first to take the dexcool melt down.
  3. TRPLXL2

Oh man do I have too! (pouty face)

Well I got the engine all put back together, and I actually fired it up tonight and it was sounding great. I will look into the heater core though, as I know that it will crap out eventually.

One interesting thing I found out today is you have to undo the passenger side motor mount to change the serpentine belt, great design idea that was......
  4. adampaul1964

adampaul1964 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Sounds like a nice find and a fun project, any pics?.. My youngest daughter will be driving next year so I'm on the look out for something similar, probably another Grand Prix, we've had 2 and have been real happy with both of them, still have the '04 GTP.
  5. Sierraowner5.3

Sierraowner5.3 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

you may want to have a look a the headgaskets, 3.4s had issues with those at 100k plus....

just something to think about.

Alex
  6. Caddiac

Caddiac Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

Congrats Amy! Sounds like you are getting to have fun without spending a ton of money. That is always a plus.
  7. TRPLXL2

I did forget to mention that I did pull the heads, and I replaced those gaskets as well as the valve cover gaskets.

Adampaul I do have a ton of pictures of the tear down and rebuild on my phone, I am going to buy a new printer soon so I can download them on here. It sucks not being able to post anything on here, Ran it today for about half an hour and all is good, all the climate control stuff is working well so my fingers are crossed...
  8. adampaul1964

adampaul1964 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I use the photobucket app on my android to upload photo's instantly and then I can post them on here.