Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

I CAN NOT Believe What I just Read!!! (Burning Oil)

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by Chevyguy69, Dec 12, 2012.

1. Chevyguy69

Chevyguy69 New Member

I was on another GM Chevy truck forum and read about 24 pages of the newer trucks burning oil after as little as 12k miles!! I put almost 300,000 on my old 94 Z-71 with a 350/ 5.7 that didn't burn oil. Mine now has a whopping 23,800 miles on her with the little 4.8 and so far so good. I've owned Chevys and GM cars since the 60s and never had this trouble......I would hate after all these years to have to trade her in for a FORD!!! lol. Is anyone here experiencing this? It has really got me paranoid now! :gasp:

2. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Do a quick search on the forum. There are multiple posts about this issue. Many people are experiencing this. GM has multiple "fixes" for it. Including, new valve covers and a piston and ring replacement.

3. Chevyguy69

Chevyguy69 New Member

Thanks Pikey, I will. I bought my 08 in October so my 5 years warranty will be up next year- just my luck! I see you had a 95- I might just start looking for a old 5.7 Vortec on the old body style with low miles. I will miss my 4 dr crew but will have to find an extended cab. I can say my old truck was a lot tighter than this newer one. I heard this from others before I bought mine and think they're right. I don't like the sound of even thinking about pistons and rings with such low mileage!

4. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

It all depends on the specific motor. My 2002 5.3L burned no oil when I sold it at 140,000 miles and still does not with 165,000 on it. (the kid that bought it stops by to show me his mods). My 2003 5.3L with 140,000 lost about a quart every 2,000 miles. My 2005 5.3L with 140,000 miles does not burn oil.(yet)

5. j cat

j cat Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

I know a company that buys tahoes for its sales employees. all vehicles purchased have the V6. too many V8 issues.

6. Chevyguy69

Chevyguy69 New Member

That is great to know and from what I've read you are one of the lucky ones. It is for the 4.8- 6.2. I believe it has to do with the AFM, whatever year they started? Here's what I read:

http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=127812

7. O'Brien

O'Brien Member

The oil consumption issue is primarily an issue with the 07' and up 5.3L engines with AFM. The 4.8 and L9H 6.2L engines don't have AFM.

8. moogvo

moogvo Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I LOVE my '95! Best looking truck ever to come out of the Chevrolet (or any other) assembly plant!

9. Chevyguy69

Chevyguy69 New Member

Yeah I still love the old body style too. I had 94 Z Ext cab step side that was Indigo blue. I do like my new body style but it sure is a lot wider than my old Z and harder to get into tight places! Lol

Good looking truck ya got there!! :great:

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks O'Brian, that is a big relief. I did noticed they all seemed to be the newer 5.3. WHEW!!

10. 1953bowtieguy

1953bowtieguy Member 2 Years 500 Posts

Also [MENTION=16459]chevy[/MENTION]guy69 the way you have prolly drove your pickups is probably pretty good, and all those other people that say they start to burn oil they have probably drove the pickup really hard. Thats how i see the thing with vehicles, if you drive them nice they dont break, if you drive them like they are a pile of junk than they i would think that they would end up breaking. But thats just my opinion.