Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

I CAN NOT Believe What I just Read!!! (Burning Oil)

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by Chevyguy69, Dec 12, 2012.

1. stchman

stchman Active Member 1 Year 1000 Posts

The 5.3L using oil is a very minor problem. My 2008 used about 1/2 qt every 5K miles. ALL engines use a little bit of oil between changes.

GM has probably sold over 2 million trucks with 5.3L engines with AFM since 2007. If it was as huge a problem as people make it out to be, GM would have discontinued the engine.

- - - Updated - - -

I've never seen a Tahoe with a V6, as a matter of fact, I don't think Chevrolet has ever put a V6 in a Tahoe.

- - - Updated - - -

The 6.2L (L94) has AFM as well. The L9H 6.2L appears to NOT have AFM. The L94 engine is used in the Escalade. I cannot verify that the 6.2L in the Silverado has AFM or not.

2. O'Brien

O'Brien Member

My 2012 Silverado CC 4X4 6.2L with 373 gearing comes equipped with the L9H non afm engine.As do the 4X4 6.2L Silverados with 3.42 gearing.

3. stchman

Did you get the Max Trailering Pack in your Silverado? IIRC that's the only way to get 3.73 gears.

4. O'Brien

O'Brien Member

Yup. Mine is the Max Trailer Pack. However as far as I understand all of the 6.2L equipped silverados be it 2 WD or 4 WD have the non afm 6.2L. It is only available in Ext Cab or CC versions.

5. stchman

So the 6.2L AFM engines are in the Escalades and Yukon Denalis it appears.

6. O'Brien

O'Brien Member

That's affirmative. At least everyone I've seen.

7. Chevyguy69

Chevyguy69 New Member

That is very true of how ppl take care of them. I baby mine and the maintence is like clock work. Now back in the day I was hard on them and only knew 2 speeds- wide open and stop! lol.

8. stchman

Do you have to run premium gas in that 6.2L engine?

9. 1953bowtieguy

1953bowtieguy Member 2 Years 500 Posts

When was back in the day, the 80s? ya i baby mine too.

10. O'Brien

O'Brien Member

Yes. The L9H 6.2L calls for 91 octane or higher.