Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

I can't shift from Park! Please Help!

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Talk & GM News' started by TemperMonkey, Mar 30, 2012.

1. TemperMonkey

TemperMonkey Member

I have a 1999 GMC Suburban C1500 and I just finished fixing the brakes. I replaced the front pads and have a new brake booster now. I ended up having to take it to a mechanic to bleed the brakes properly cause I couldn't seem to get it. So now I can't shift outta park and I don't know why! Any ideas?

2. Gundog10

Gundog10 New Member

Please, I am not trying to be smart. recently, helped someone get their truck out of park. I steped on the brake, started the engine and it want into drive.

3. TemperMonkey

TemperMonkey Member

Thanks. I know that. I didn't think I'd have to specify that I know that. Thanks though. I know that there are people that freak out and forget to do that.

4. Blazer454

Blazer454 Member

you replaced the booster then took it to the shop? so it shifted out of park before going to the shop?

5. Dirty Dog

Dirty Dog Member 2 Years 500 Posts ROTM Winner Platinum Contributor

Temper monkey we have a 95 2500 here, that we push snow with in the winter... we have had the exact problem and others with shifting at different times over the years, it has always been the linkage tweaks that has fixed it for us and we still run the truck today... Now i know you didn't push any snow, and we figure that was the cause of our grief,, but maybe some how over the time and the wearing of your brakes before replacement some linkage or brackets were fudged out of alinement....worth a quick check.... hope this helps

6. MrShorty

MrShorty Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

My first guess (subject to the response to blazer454's question) is that, while working around the brake pedal, you must have done something to the mechanism that locks the shifter if the brake isn't pressed. I haven't ever been under there, so I'm not exactly sure what that mechanism looks like, but that's the direction I'd be looking.

7. Red Z71 Max

Red Z71 Max Rockstar 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I would check the brake switch that is located under thae dash and is activated by the brake pedal. The brake pedal must be press in order to let the truck be shifted out of park. If this switch is bad, unplugged or out of alignment it will not send a signal to allow the lock to release the shifter. You make have broke it when pumping the brakes or the actual pedal isn't going down far enough.

8. TemperMonkey

TemperMonkey Member

Thanks for all your help! The truck is fixed. We checked the brake sensor and it needed adjusting. We managed to get our braking problem and shifting problem all resolved! And yes we couldn't figure out y we still had issues after replacing the booster. Also the truck shifted fine before we took it to the shop to get the brake fluid flushed and bled the brakes. It turns out that the truck needed a brake booster and a master cylinder. We also changed the front brake pads and the bleeder valves as they were stripped...After 2 days of frustration all is done!!

9. Dirty Dog

Dirty Dog Member 2 Years 500 Posts ROTM Winner Platinum Contributor

Whoot nothing like winning,,,, and when you solve those little glitches you win!!!!!! good job!!:sign0173: