1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

I don't know where to start..

Discussion in 'Chevy Tahoe Forum (GMC Yukon, Cadillac Escalade)' started by Conlan Rose, Jul 24, 2012.

Random Gallery Photos

1. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Super Moderator 1000 Posts 100 Posts

OK, I kind of feel bad that recently I've only posted if I have a problem but that's because of how busy my summer has been. So well here's the problem(s) there's kinda a few.

First, this morning while driving to work my charging system warning light came on. At first I didn't notice the light until I glanced at the dash and saw it. After I saw it I did all the things you're supposed to do like turn off electronics, fans, and what not. But the truck fell fine, that is until I had to run out. Then the truck felt very sluggish and unhappy. It limped back to the office and a co-worker and I popped the hood to see if it was a mechanical issue. It wasn't but after one or two hammer blows to the old alternator the light shut off and quickly the truck sounded better idling. Yes I know what the issue is, its the alternator but I'm just wondering which brand is best for my truck and if I should get a higher amp for the replacement.

Next issue, I promise this will be a smaller explanation. I really need new shocks for the rear the truck currently is sitting about three inches lower than its factory stance, its really bad especially because the front isn't sagging at all. I'm just wondering what the best factory replacement shocks are and if it will help get the truck to its more aggressive looking factory stance.

Last statement, its not really an issue. I'm bringing the truck in for some preventive maintenance this week, a full transmission flush and fuel injection cleaning. I'm just wondering if it is worth the money and if tranny flushes really help out as much as advertised or do/can they cause harm?

Thanks for the help!
  2. Sierraowner5.3

Sierraowner5.3 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

flushes are generally not a good idea, can move crud around and plug up things in in the tranny. a better idea is to drop the pan, dump the fluid, and do it again after a few hundred miles.

as to your shock question, bilstein and rancho are good. alternator is up to you, A/C delco is the obvious choice, the amperage is trickier, do plan on adding alot of power consuming items, or not, unless you do, the factory amps should be fine.

Alex
  3. Conlan Rose

This is not in defence of the flush but the shop says that the flush removes approx 95% of the old fluid, they then run a cleaning fluid through the whole tranny including the cooler, then fill the truck up with new fluid. They dont say if they replace the filter or not tho.

For the alternator since I plan on adding two aux cooling fans for the tranny cooler I'm adding I was thinking going bigger would be better. The fans draw about 10-11 amps together. But in the future I also intend to add in some weight distributing air shocks in the rear with a compressor not sure on the draw yet tho.
  4. moogvo

moogvo Moderator 1000 Posts 100 Posts

AC Delco for the Alternator. Standard amperage is fine unless you have a lot of high current accessories installed.
  5. Conlan Rose

I was planning on getting an AC Delco alternator, but unsure if the factory numbers will be enough if I'm going to be adding new accessories over time so that way I only have to spend the money once.
  6. aloxdaddy99

aloxdaddy99 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I would agree that the flush will get out the most fluid. But as [MENTION=44531]Sierraowner5.3[/MENTION] said you will be moving crap into places crap shouldn't be. I tend to lean toward dropping the pan and changing the filter and fluid. Than you can see what kind and how much crap is in the bottom of your pan and not try to pull it through the passages in the tranny.
  7. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Moderator 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Where in Ct are you? If you are close to Milford Check out Dr Nicks Trans. Ask for Mark He will give you the right things to do and a Fair price.. I Very Knowageable and nice guy....
  8. Conlan Rose

Well I happen to live in Milford actually, and I've never heard of Dr. Nicks Trans. I scheduled other services I need with Autoworks of Devon for Thursday if you know who they are. They are running a special this month for flushes and A/C tune up. So far they haven't failed me and are very nice.
  9. TimTom64b

TimTom64b New Member 100 Posts

The thing with tranny flushes are they are fine as long as you have been doing the recommended service intervals and recommendations. As the others stated it is only flushing out the fluids... if the filter filter is dirty and it has been along time you may want to drop the pan and replace the filter first.
  10. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Moderator 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Here is a Link http://www.drnicks-milford.com/ Mark is one hell of a GM guy he is friends with Butch the guy Building a 9 Sec Avalanche.. He knows his stuff and I trust him Totaly...