I failed my emissions testing today!

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by TRPLXL2, Apr 28, 2009.

Newest Photos

1. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 New Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Today I went to get my truck (signature pic) emissions checked which is required every other year here in Ohio, so I am thinking no problem passing because the truck has only 9,500 miles and is in awesome condition. Well I pulled up and they did the gas pressure check and it passed, and then they pulled the truck forward and proceeded to put the OBD II scanner on it to check for codes or any problems. The next thing I know the guy is asking me if I have done any modification or engine upgrades such as a tuner or something like that, I told him absolutely not even though I had taken my Hyperpac off of it prior to leaving the house. He said that it had failed because the system had been completely erased by someone, so I stood there thinking about what I had done wrong to fail this test and then it occured to me. I told him I had a cut off switch for when I put the truck in storage for the winter to keep it from dying, then the guy tells me that every time I disconnected that battery it is erasing all of the codes and that it takes time for the computer to relearn all of the driving conditions such as o2 temps, egr valve, basically everything on the truck. I had only ran the truck about 20 miles before going up to the emissions place so It didn't have time to relearn I guess, he then gives me the option to run an RPM test which I had never heard of so I agreed to it. They put the truck in neutral and revved it up to what sounded like 5,000 RPM's and then they let off completely and just shut it off right away, which I wasn't too happy with them doing that to my truck!
    IT PASSED FINALLY! They threw out the results for the failed computer test, and they gave me a pass slip for the RPM test and I was able to get my license plates afterwards. I am going to have the same problem with my S-10 too, because I have a disconnect on it too to keep the battery from draining. So if you have a battery disconnect on your newer vehicle, run it for at least a week before you take it to the emissions station because it won't pass! Call me a dummy but I didn't know that the cut-off would mess with the computer like that, but I have to have the disconnect otherwise I will go through about 2 batteries a year from my lights.
    Here's a pic f the disconnect by the way, in case you were curious.

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2009
  2. TrailLeadr

TrailLeadr New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I recently ran into the same situation. We had a bad knock sensor on the Avalanche, and after I replaced it I had to erase the code because it wasn't going away on it's own. I initially failed because the comp wasn't ready to be tested. So after a 30mile run to get McDonalds for lunch with my son, the truck passed.

Live and learn. But very good advice.:great:
  3. Jimmiee

Jimmiee New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

They do the testing differently here in Nevada as well as in California. The way it works here is if there are any incomplete monitors the test is aborted. You are instructed that there are incomplete OBD checks and you need to drive the vehicle until the monitor clears or the code returns. This prevents you from clearing a code and immediately trying to get a smog.
  4. 1st Synthetics

1st Synthetics New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I am glad we do not have any of that testing here in Michigan.
  5. 95CTburb19

95CTburb19 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

My friends with their mustangs have had this problem in the past. They use their programmer to clear the codes for the 02 sensor after the cats (which they removed). then they usually have to go back to get re tested. Some of the guys at the emissions place knew what they did. I've been through the rev test several times, my jeep stalled out twice while on the rollers, but still managed to pass :lol:
  6. 1_low_rider

1_low_rider New Member 100 Posts

HA, here i mississippi when i have to get my inspection sticker renewed all they check is for tinted windows!!!THATS IT!!! no stupid tests or checking the condition of the truck. takes 30 seconds and im outta there!!
  7. Jimmiee

Jimmiee New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

The new testing machines just won't let you cheat anymore. A couple of years ago you could take your rig to a smog shop and they could cheat the system although it was illegal. What they would do is hook the OBD link up to your vehicle and the sniffer into another unmodified vehicle. Your vehicle would pass with flying colors.....Now you can't do that anymore because the new machines use the on board sensors to perform the test. No more sniffer in the tail pipe. The "sniffing" is done with the O2 sensors on your truck along with your vehicles computer.
    Remember what starts in California starts working it's way EAST so get ready! :)
  8. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 1000 Posts

Texas has pretty bad air in the heat of the summer, so the testing has gotten more involved each few years. I did the same thing maybe 6 or 8 years ago with a bad O2 sensor, hoping to reset everything except the bad O2, I couldn't find the sweet spot, so I changed the O2 and run her a hundred miles and then passed after that.
  9. bry2500

bry2500 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Tests here in Mass are the same . No codes No sticker. Very simple math. Unless you know someone ( which is illegal) anything outside the lines is an instant rejection.

My wifes van just failed for tires. They said that they were too close to the wear indicators and they. @ $225 a tire it was a hard pill to swallow.
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2009
  10. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 New Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I am waiting for the day that everyone has to pass California emissions, then I think a lot of people will be buying new exhaust systems and doing a lot of engine downgrading. I don't understand this either Diesel trucks do not get emissions tested here, so I guess I should have bought a diesel! I had never heard about using the unmodified vehicle to get the modified one to pass, that is pretty slick although like you said they have figured that one out now. A while back when I was at the Chevy dealer they offered me a 2007 Corvette Z06 hardtop for $38,000 new, and when I asked him what was wrong with it he said no one wanted it because of the California emissions package on it. They had gotten it from a dealer trade and they got stuck with it, does anybody know exactly what the California emissions package is on a vehicle?:neutral: