1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

I fixed my factory Bose 6 disc changer for under $100

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Gadget Tech' started by Pikey, Sep 27, 2012.

1. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

When I bought my 2005 yukon xl the cd player did not work. It just flashed a disc symbol and would not do anything else. I took the head unit apart and discovered that the previous owner had 3 discs jammed in it and attempted to pry them out with something. All the trays that the discs went into were bent. So, I did some research and found the complete mechanism for $138 + $12 shipping and a $50 core. I looked around more and found just the Bare mechanism for $72+$10 shipping. (no circuit board attached). Here is how I fixed it: For some reason my pics all posted in reverse order and I can not figure out how to fix them.

I removed the head unit from the truck
    Then I removed the screw that hold the top cover on the unit. I carefully pried the top open.

Then I removed the faceplate by carefully prying the tabs up. There are 2 on each side. The the faceplate pulls straight off.
    Next, I removed the two screws under the faceplate.
    Now, you need to remove the 2 screws on the opposite side.
    The mechanism will now lift out of the unit. Carefully pull the ribbon cable out of the connector.
    IMG_0420.jpg the circuit board needs to be moved from the old mech to the new one. (no those are not my hands, they are my four year olds)

IMG_0421.jpg there are 3 screws that IMG_0422.jpg need removed
    You will also need to remove the bracket and put it on the new mech
    Remove the 4 ribbon cables and the one white connector. Slide the board out and reverse the process to reinstall. It took me a total of 20 minutes from start to finish.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 27, 2012
  2. tbplus10

tbplus10 Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

So I guess the only question left to ask is were the CD's good music or were they something like Barry Manilows greatest hits?
  3. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Moderator 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Nice write up... Hey when you were younger did you take apart all your toys and rebuild them BETTER??? LOL

Kidding.. Nice job
  4. PantheraUncia

PantheraUncia Active Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

My question is for something like a head unit, why not just buy a new one with USB and have a 300 disc changer with out the CD's. Head units are not expensive these days.
  5. Pikey

Yes, I did take all my toys apart (and my friends toys). @nakranij , I am not interested in putting a new head unit in. I never liked the look of an aftermarket radio in my truck. I am happy with the sound quality of the bose system. So, I see no point in spending more then what it cost me to fix the unit I like to put a unit in that I can't stand the look of. I know people can do nice installs and have seen some very nice installs. I just do not like seeing a dash "bastardized" to fit an aftermarket radio. Yes, I know that I could get a nice double Din to fit, but that is going to cost much more than $82. @tbplus10 No, The CDs that were in it were a weird mix.(and all cracked because someone attempted to remove them with a knife or screwdriver.) A Gospel piano music CD, A slayer CD, and some other hard rock CD. A strange combo to say the least. I am assuming that the Gospel CD and the Slayer CD had a disagreement and that is what caused the issue inside the mechanism.
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2012
  6. jgme

jgme New Member

Thank you very much for this writeup. My cd player was out of commission for two or three years. I came across this posting from a search. The CD mechanism was ordered from a vendor that advertises at eBay also. The small electronics board had to be transferred to the new CD mechanism. The reassembly took a few minutes and I can listen to my CDs again.
  7. broonsbane

broonsbane New Member

Hi thanks for the tutorial.. I'm trying to fix my fathers 6 cd player. Can either of you give links to where you bought the mechanism? All I can find are onesthat are around $150 or so...
    Thanks in advance
  8. Pikey

i sent you a pm
  9. jgme

jgme New Member

10. derekherns

derekherns New Member

Pikey
    Where did you buy it from?
    It looks exactly like mine in my 2009 H3T, and I need one