1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

I got a question . . .Government GM trucks

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by JTWard, May 23, 2014.

1. JTWard

JTWard Member 1 Year Gold Member 100 Posts

Anybody know just how many brand new Chevrolet Suburban's black or white the U.S. Government buys each year ???? Every time I turn on CNN they got a shot of some government big wig rolling around in a black Suburban's ?:shocked:
  2. poncho62

poncho62 Member 100 Posts

They only have the one...it gets shipped all over for the photo ops..........:lol:
  3. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

lol!! I have no idea how many. I will see if someone I know at GM can find out. I know that they build "special" trucks for the government sometimes. A while back when George Bush was governor of Texas they built him a Suburban. It was custom built at the Tech center. They went thru it and bondo-ed all the spot welds on the inside of the doors, hood, any where they could be found. then they sanded them and custom painted the truck for him.
  4. PantheraUncia

PantheraUncia Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

I use to have the RPO code for the armor plating on silverado's. I believe there is also an RPO code for a missile launcher.
  5. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

HHmmm I could use that in NYC,,......:fighting0019:
  6. JTWard

Well, not only the white house, but all of the departments, like the interior and HUD and the U.S Marshals and the State department, when ever you see someone with a big desk and a security team, they all ride in these Chevy Suburban's and some have Tahoe's. Back in the nineties, when GM stopped making the Chevy Caprice, I said to myself, "What (*&^g idiots, in my business life, every where I would go, from the Atlantic to the Pacific , every damn police department used only one kind of cars, Chevy Caprices.

Those V8 sedans were everywhere I went. Every police department had at lease 15, he)& NYC used to buy 250 at a time, it would take them weeks to install all the special equipment and radios. Here in Philadelphia, they dropped the red and white cars and just bought all white cars and added the police graphics later. They saved a ton of money not having to repaint them for street service. California or at least LA, buys them black with white doors from the factory. It's cheaper having black cars and just adding 4 white doors. GM thought that making full size Tahoe's and Suburban's were cheaper and more profit in the full size 4 wheel drive vehicles. Then the gulf wars broke out and gas cost $3.00 a gallon, then the public couldn't get rid of the gas guzzlers fast enough and sales of the full size SUV's took a nose dive. Now 20 years later, the government had to kick out the brass @ GM and virtually buy the company to keep them from going under.

Just crazy, all those executives got their golden parachutes and are living large on a beach somewhere. Hell of a way to run a country !
  7. McClintoc

McClintoc ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ Staff Member 2 Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

If it's a government purchase, I would think it would be public record somewhere. Now, if you found a purchase order or automotive budget, whether or not it is accurate is another story. :p
  8. JTWard

NO, I just meant that in a sarcastic vain, The company has had a few hard hits lately (i.e.; bad ignition parts, faulty steering and brakes parts), just stuff that happened until the temporary management with the "bailout" was done with and the company started making money again, these quality problems will go away with new motivation and leadership at the helm.

But GM has made some significant errors that need alignment. I still believe it's one of the most profitable automotive companies on the market, but they need good leadership so problems like installing a ignition switch that holds up, doesn't ever happen again. Bad PR last a longtime, Good PR can erase bad PR is it happens enough and with real substance to it.
  9. billnorman

billnorman Rockstar 100 Posts

You may wish to take a close look at those Suburbans. The big V-8 has enough power to pull them around after the addition of armor plate, bulletproof glass and run flat tires. Some of those monsters look at a distance like a regular 'Burb but they are not and they weigh up to 10,000 pounds.
  10. RVJ

RVJ Rockstar 100 Posts

They thought about buying Explorers but realized they would have to buy Chevy's to push the heavy Fords around anyway.