1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

I guess I change my oil too often.

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Talk & GM News' started by stchman, Jan 22, 2013.

1. stchman

stchman Active Member 1 Year 1000 Posts

I change my oil every 5K miles using Mobil 1 5W-30.

I read an article on Edmunds that talks about every 7800 miles. I do believe that every 3K miles is ridiculous.

http://www.edmunds.com/car-care/stop-changing-your-oil.html

Should I go with 7800 miles? If yes, how often should the filter go? The AC Delco PF-48 is a pretty inexpensive and changing it more frequently is not a big hassle.

What do the other forum members think.
  2. silverhobey

silverhobey Rockstar 3 Years 500 Posts

i do mine every three months...needed or not due to low mileage driving.
    i think oil is cheap, i change oil on 4 cars, yet our 2010 crew still goes to the dealer.
    i only chamge the filters though, 3 times a year, not 4 times.
    i agree that changing it frequently is not a hassle, plus i get to check for other
    things underneath the kids' and neices' cars....Brian from Canada
  3. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

My HHR runs on Mobil 1 5w30, I am planning on running 8-10k on an oil change.
    My Colorado runs on Mobil 1 5w30, It will get changed every 3k because it gets ran HARD.

The filter gets changed with the oil, I try to use Wix or Bosch and I always get a larger size filter than what is called for.

It really depends on if you baby it, or drive it hard.
  4. RayVoy

RayVoy Well-Known Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

Use synthetic oil and the Oil Life Monitor.
  5. stchman

stchman Active Member 1 Year 1000 Posts

IMO 4 times a year is overkill and you're just throwing money down the drain by changing good oil (I assume you drive ~15K a year).

Right now I changing three times a year, but would like to do twice a year.

- - - Updated - - -

I use Mobil 1 5W-30. With the new GM dexOS thing, you have to run semi-synthetic or full synthetic now.

- - - Updated - - -

Agreed on the oil, but as far as filters, I only use AC Delco, I have found that the other filters (no matter how cool they look, or how much they cost) are JUNK.

I drive ~15K a year, so I'm going to start changing the oil every 7500 miles.
  6. aloxdaddy99

aloxdaddy99 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

I chabge mine every 5k. I also use Mobil 1 5w-30. The filter is K&N. To me it is cheap insurance. I look at the old oil to see if things have changed. Such as signs of water or antifreeze and metal. Overkill yes! I do a lot of short trips (4 miles door to door to work). I average about 15k a year so changing the oil 3 times a year isn't bad to me.
  7. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Wait, wait, wait! Am I understanding this correctly? You go one oil change and change just the oil and not the filter? I must not be understanding that. That is like taking a shower but putting dirty underwear back on. Filters are cheap. You can't be using mobile 1 and calling it "cheap" I know a few people that have cottages in Canada and Mobile one is nearly double the price there.

- - - Updated - - -

I was talking to the service manager a few months ago. He said that with the new dexOS and the longer oil change intervals, they are seeing record numbers of broken timing chains on new trucks. He said that they are seeing them break at 30000-65000 miles. It seems to think that it is directly related to the longer 7,500 mile intervals. I also agree with the AC only filter. I will not use anything else. Sweet, this filter filters down to .000001 microns (exaggerated), to me that just increases the chance of the filter plugging and hopefully it bypasses like it is supposed to. I know a few techs that insist that the k&n, and the like, plug after about 1000 miles and basically your engine runs unfiltered oil through the bypass until you change the filter. I don't know if I agree with that thinking, but it does give me something to think about. GM designed the filter for what filtering they think is needed. If I wanted "More" filtering, i would add a bypass filter using an additional AC filter. I change my oil when the oil life monitor says to. But, I keep my eye on the miles, monitor %, and oil. I check my oil at every fill up. I look for level and condition/color. With my 2002 it would look the same when I took it out than when I put it in. In the 03 at about 75% life left it looked black like coal. In my 05 it start looking dirty at about 45% left/ I changed the oil the day I bought it. I now have driven 8000 miles since purchasing it. I changed it one other time with the monitor at 10%. Right now I have 50% left. So, I figure that I am getting about 5000 per oil change.
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2013
  8. JimmyA

JimmyA Member 1 Year 100 Posts

I change my oil every 5,000mi and use a Puralator 12222 filter and pour Mobile 1 full synthetic back in.
  9. Sierraowner5.3

Sierraowner5.3 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

mine is done every 5k. my last two trucks i did every three. that may have been overkill, it may not have been. this truck seems to handle more miles between ok. i keep an eye on the oil, and it never looks to bad.

Alex
  10. silverhobey

silverhobey Rockstar 3 Years 500 Posts

yeah, i figure 3 filters for 4 changes isn't too bad as all the vehicles only get
    about 2 or 3000 miles on them between changes,,,,It's not the money to buy
    the filters, i just figure if others are vdoing 2 or 3 changes a year with filters
    that I would save the kids a few bucks and use 1 less filter a year??!!
    ....not sure if it hurts anything, but it hasnt for the past 10 or 12 years,
    Brian....

- - - Updated - - -

....no, not using Mobil one....use other name brands, and i am not sure if
    skipping the 1 filter would do any damage based on the low use it
    would get every 3 months----what do you think???