1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

I guess I change my oil too often.

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Talk & GM News' started by stchman, Jan 22, 2013.

1. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

My grandfather used to change the filter every 3,000 and the oil every 6000. He did it to a 1979 chevy station wagon with a 350. He sold the car to my dad. My dad drove it until the odometer had 500,000 miles on it. then the odometer stopped working and he drove it for another 5 years. He sold it to a scrap yard in 1995 because the body rusted out beyond repair.
  2. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Super Moderator 1000 Posts

Another 350 hitting insane miles...
  3. Kady

Kady New Member

I change it every 3k... For some reason, my truck will read "Change engine oil" even before the 3k miles...
  4. stchman

stchman New Member 1000 Posts

Broken timing chains!!! Let me get this straight, if you change the oil every 7500 miles, you're more likely to break a timing chain? I'm having a hard time buying that.

I was tossing around the idea of changing the oil every 8K miles, but changing the filter every 4K miles.

I did not change the oil the day I got the truck, but every new vehicle I have ever had I have changed the oil at 1K miles and then 5K after that.

As far as checking the oil color, unless the oil is the consistency of tar, you cannot judge the oil by its color or looks.
  5. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

That is what the service manager seems to think! I changed it the day I got it because I bought it used. The dealer had just done it but it had a MOPAR filter on it. :gasp:I am not trying to judge the viscosity or breakdown of the oil, I am merely looking at how dirty it looks. Jet black oil after 500 miles would concern me some. Looking at it at every fill up may give me an indication that something crazy is going on. If I check it and it smells like gas or went from looking new to looking black in 200 miles, I may want to do some investigating.
  6. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 New Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

x2 on what Pikey said about the timing chains, I have heard that before but don't know how valid it is.
  7. stchman

Every 3K miles is WAY overkill. You are just spending more money than needed.
  8. Kady

Kady New Member

How is it way over kill? I have 13/14 year old tahoe with 155k on it. I don't use synthetic either. Its costs me 20/25 bucks every 3ish months... Big freakin deal...
  9. stchman

There are no credible experts/mechanics/etc. that recommend you change oil every 3K miles. That was a myth perpetuated by service facilities to get customers in more frequently to spend more $$$$.

If you like changing the oil in your Tahoe, go ahead, it's still way overkill.
  10. Kady

Kady New Member

I've been changing oil every 3k for every single one of my cars/trucks/motorcycles since I began owning them. And the way I see it, it never caused any problems by changing it too often. Its cheap enough, so why not?

You did create this thread to get people's opinions right? Not to call anyone who doesn't agree with you "OverKill"