1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

I guess I change my oil too often.

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Talk & GM News' started by stchman, Jan 22, 2013.

1. stchman

stchman Active Member 1 Year 1000 Posts

I did state in my OP that 3K is ridiculous.

The reason I created the thread was to get other forum members opinion on going to 7800 miles from 5000 miles on oil changes and more frequent filter changes. After reading the article I posted, I might be wasting money for no reason.

My neighbor changes oil every 2000 miles on his 2009 Pontiac G8, and he's 100% convinced that that's the proper thing to. I've told him that's WAY TOO frequent, but oh well.

I used to change oil every 3000 miles, but knew that interval was too frequent.

If changing your oil every 3000 miles does it for you, cool.
  2. Kady

Kady Rockstar GMTC Chick 100 Posts

My last comment sounded kinda of D*bag like, (sorry, i was grumpy after work) but how can you say something is too frequent?? If your neighbor or anyone else only drives 2k a year, then they better be changing it then...
  3. stchman

No problem, you were probably freezing in your Tahoe and uncomfortable temperatures can cause irritability.

My neighbor drives normally to my knowledge (~12K a year), but he changes the oil every 2000 miles. If it makes him happy, so be it.
  4. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

I barely drive 3000 miles a year so I just change every 6 months or when I need to do a maintenance item that involves oil. I always change oil and filter at the same time.
  5. Kady

Kady Rockstar GMTC Chick 100 Posts

It was a combination of that and the d^bags that came out of the woodwork today at work.
  6. 1953bowtieguy

1953bowtieguy Member 1 Year 500 Posts

I know if you think changing every 3000 miles is ridiculous, i usually change mine every 2000 miles. I know i think it is just the way i was raised. But i dont think that when u change your oil it is never too frequent. Exept if it is like a month after you change it.
  7. stchman

There is a thing called oil change addiction, sounds like you have it.
  8. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

:rofl:

Lol! That is pretty funny. News Flash! Man arrested for changing oil in random cars in mall parking lot. His statement to police: "I just can't help it! I can just tell that it was more than 3000 miles since their last change, I mean look how dirty that car is, if they don't take care of the outside, they don't take care of their oil, I am doing a public service"
  9. Skippy

Skippy Member 2 Years 100 Posts

So THAT's what they mean when they say "America is addicted to Oil."
  10. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I have through all the posts, and I would like to make a suggestion. This is for all the people who have already switched to synthetic, but are still going by the oil life monitor. The BCM and ECM are programmed for standard oil, by switching to synthetic oil the computers do not automatically recognize the difference. You can however take it to the dealer to have them reprogram it to recognize the synthetic oil, that way it will be 100% accurate to your driving style and choice of oil. I did this with my truck, $60 for them to flash it and it is accurate for the synthetic that I am running. Just a thought....