1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

I guess I change my oil too often.

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Talk & GM News' started by stchman, Jan 22, 2013.

1. silverhobey

silverhobey Rockstar 3 Years 500 Posts

our 2010 has been running Semi-Synthetic through dealership changes
    only. I guess I should find out about this, but I have not noticed a
    difference in oil-life monitor-----might be due to low mileage that we
    drive that I have not noticed it,,,,,thanks for the info TRPLXL2 .
    Brian from Canada
  2. clinton_hedrick

clinton_hedrick New Member

I go 5k in my truck with conventional oil, and 6-7500 in my little Honda, using full synthetic. But if I drive either one hard, I'll change 1 to 2k sooner
  3. stchman

stchman Active Member 1 Year 1000 Posts

With the new dexOS thing, the ECM should be aware of synthetic oil as it is now specified.
  4. TimTom64b

TimTom64b Member 2 Years 500 Posts ROTM Winner Gold Member

You can never damage your engine by changing you oil too often.... But you can by not changing it soon enough.
    1 person likes this.
  5. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

I agree that's whey GM made that oil standard.
  6. McClintoc

McClintoc ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ Staff Member 2 Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I change mine every 3k miles - oil and filter every time. With better engine technology and better oil technology, newer cars can go longer between oil changes. I don't think the 3k mile rule (for older cars) is a myth. There is a marked difference between fresh oil and 3k-mile oil. Ultimately, it's up to you how long you want to keep running the same oil change in your engine. Just remember, no harm will come from changing the oil too often but waiting too long to change it will, over time, hurt the engine. It's up to each individual car owner how long they want to go between changes but it's usually a good idea to go by what your vehicles manual says.
    1 person likes this.
  7. Treadnmud

Treadnmud New Member

I drive about 90 miles round trip a day for work and make 2 450 mile trips a month. I usually go about 5k on my oil changes. Longer drives are easier on an engine.
    The smaller micron filter the better, but if you have trouble with filters plugging I would find out WHAT is plugging them. An oil analysis would reveal a lot of insight here. Is it bearing material, iron, sealant, or what? It will also give you a particle count if the sample isn't too dark.
    Many filters also leak internally around the filter media, at the threaded end where it is glued or otherwise attached. The more filter surface area you have, the less restrictive it is. IMO, buy one of every filter brand you can find, cut them all open and you can see the quality or lack of for yourself. Also many filter brands are made by the same company.
    I took several classes on filtration with Caterpillar and learned tons about them. Hope this helps.
  8. silverhobey

silverhobey Rockstar 3 Years 500 Posts

thanks for the info and insight...do you happen to know what Brands of Filters
    to steer away from....do you happen to know what companies make different
    brands for other companies !!?? thanks...Brian
  9. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Brain, Check this out, I found this list while doing research about why so many people say not to use Fram filters. I also wanted to be able to back up my statements about fram with some data. Fram uses half the filter material anyone else does: http://www.minimopar.net/oilfilters/reference.html#delco