I hate my gas gauge!

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by ChevyGirl95, Nov 15, 2010.

1. ChevyGirl95

ChevyGirl95 New Member

Hey guys, I have a 95 Chevy K1500, the gas gauge has a mind of its own. I can't tell how much gas I ever have. It use to act up just when it got low and now it's acting up all the time even when it's completely full and the tank won't hold any more gas the gauge still shows that it's a quarter from being completely full. It's driving me crazy. I've been told it could be 2 things. Either the sending unit in the gas tank or the dash gauges themselves. I can't afford to fix both, is there some way I can test the system to figure out for sure which one it is???

2. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Wow good one, id lean twards the sending unit which is the most common issue with these. Since the wiring is anything but up to standards..

3. MightyMax

MightyMax Rockstar 100 Posts

I would lean towards the Sending unit as well, since it seems the guage does register (so working).

There are only 3 wires, plus the grounding wire going to the sending unit.

The float in there uses a resistor to increase/decrease voltage to reflect the amount in the tank through the guage.

4. ChevyGirl95

ChevyGirl95 New Member

Thank you guys so much, I will replace the sending unit. It will be nice to have a gas guage that works correctly.

5. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Might not then you will really be ablr to see how fast it falls HAHA...