I have a Towing Question

Discussion in 'Towing & Trailer Tech' started by Iluvmychevy, May 23, 2008.

1. Iluvmychevy

Iluvmychevy New Member

So I pulled a trailer out of some dirt today and it was wedged in pretty tight. (Dang I wish I had Z71!) But the way that my mom and dad said for me to do it was to put it in 1st and then turn the tow haul on? Is this right or not?

2. GoFastPadre

GoFastPadre Rockstar 100 Posts

I only have one question. Did it work? if so it seems they gave you pretty good advice. I would have done the same thing without the tow/haul botton that is more for towing on the road keeps you truck out of od.:glasses:

3. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

First off the Z71 wouldnt have gotten you out any better, it has the same drivetrain as your truck. The difference is in the spring rates, visual packaging, and price.
    Mom and dad gave you solid advice.
    The only other thing I might change (and this is depending on the situation) was if there's to much dirt piled in front of the trailer tires I'd shovel some away and make a ramp for the trailer to pull up and out on.

4. bkovacs

bkovacs New Member

dont z71's have higher gear ratios than regular half tons?

5. GoFastPadre

GoFastPadre Rockstar 100 Posts

Mine has 3.73's with limited slip. The first thing you would want to change if you are going to tow vwry much because it is weak as water. I replaced mine at 110K

6. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Drivetrain pieces (axles, trans, t-case, and engine) are all the same. Any gear ratio can be ordered in a new truck. Most people buy whatever is packaged and sitting on the lot, people rarely choose a truck for the axle ratio, if you wanted a specific ratio you could order the truck that way but you'd have to wait for delivery. No one waits for delivery nowadays they want it right now.
    You could swap out your gears for something that better suits your driving style if what you have isnt working. Like I said before tho the only pieces that are different are spring rates (Z71 uses progressive springs, which tend to wear faster and give a harsher ride) packaging and price. Your truck is essentially a Z71 with out the price and logos.

7. Iluvmychevy

Iluvmychevy New Member

Ohhh that's pretty cool. I was kinda skeptical about doing what they said but it did work so I guess I'll listen next time :). But what I was doing was just puttin it in drive and then I'll kinda back up and then try to snatch it out but it wasn't working that good but when I put it in 1 and then turned on tow/haul it came out. But what's up with it keeping overdrive off? what is that anyway?