Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

I have a water leak

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by kjohnsiii, Nov 6, 2008.

1. kjohnsiii

kjohnsiii New Member

SOS... I am trying to locate wear water is coming into the cabin on my 03 suburban. I have narrowed the leak to the passenger side. I initially thought that it was the heater core but the water does not smell like coolant. Are there any common places to check?

2. dwill3015

dwill3015 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Can you un-attatch the carpet from under the dash and peel it back to see if maybe a rubber plug of some sort is missing in either the floorboard or firewall?

I should have asked first what kind of weather you have been driving in. If it has been dry then i would lean towards the problem being your heater core.

Find someone that has a cooling system pressure checkker to pressurize the system and then look under the dash for a leak.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2008
  3. tlperry68

tlperry68 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Baby powder or talcum powder applied to suspect areas will draw out tiny bits of water and aid as a visual inspection.

4. kjohnsiii

kjohnsiii New Member

Thanks for the tips, We live in the great wet northwest (Washington) were it rains quite a bit. I have already pealed the carpet back so that I could dry the carpet out. I put a garden hose on the roof and ran water over the windshield for a bit. No luck. I still need to get the pressure check done to eliminate that possibility. I also heard that the roof rack area has been known to leak. I checked the plug in the floor board looked pretty solid. I did not checked on the fire wall plugs yet. So goes the battle.

KJ

5. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Funny you should mention the roof rack as a leak source. I recently started having problems with a water leak on my 2001 crew cab. A GM mechanic friend of mine said their had been reports of the screw holes on the roof racks of Surbubans leaking, since mine doesnt have a roof rack, and I had already eliminated all possibilities at the windshield, cowl, and firewall I decided to look at the clearance lights on the cab, every one of them showed signs of water leaking.
    To fix the problem I removed the screws, put RTV on them, and replaced them. I havent had water on the floor since then.

6. lawson4450

lawson4450 Rockstar 100 Posts

I got the same problem I was told to check my a/c line if it was clogged i cleaned it out and put a a shot of air in it and it stopped. all summer no problem s then it rained again recently and found a wet spot dead center someone told me to check the screws in the cowl area for leaks and look up under the dash im gonna do that soon just havent had a chance to yet.

7. daddytech

daddytech Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

this is good advise but if by chance you are in a hot area and running the hell out of the ac it could also be condensation from running that too. I would lean toward it being a loose or missing grommet in the firewall than anything else unless you are one of those that just puts water in your radiator when it's low , I have run in to a few of those in the south myself is the only reason i mentoned that .

8. mercedesdoc

mercedesdoc New Member

ck you r roof rack, My 2001 is rotted at the roof from the factory roof rack. Gm has denied my claim to fix it as they claim I live in south Florida and my truck is kept outdoors. Yet my truck looks like brand new and well kept, even the body shop manager told the gm rep that he couldn't believe such a well kept truck would rot away like that. You should have a 6 year guarantee on the rust take it in before it gets worse and make more problems like i got

9. daddytech

daddytech Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

sounds like someone needs to get into some litigating with GM. that's not right, if the rest of your truck is still in like new almost prestine shape and there's one spot on it that is rotting then someone should do something about it. now keep in mind unless the truck had a 10 year warranty with no mileage stipulation you are well past any warranty period unless you bought this truck used and it's the secondary dealer that gave the warranty. then you may have a leg to stand on legally yet.