1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

I have never added or changed fluid in my transfer case....

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by bimmer84, Jun 8, 2011.

Random Gallery Photos

1. bimmer84

bimmer84 New Member

..so I now need to add some after leaking some out the back of it while changing the U-joints. What came out was pink in color. I expected gear lube in a transfer case but this looked like ATF.

What fluid should be used?
  2. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Its is ATF. I use Mobil 1 synthetic ATF fluid.

---------- Post added at 04:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:04 PM ----------

The newer transfer cases use the AutoTrac ll fluid.
  3. bimmer84

bimmer84 New Member

Thank you sir.
  4. 2COR517

2COR517 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

What he said.

At least you had some leak out. These cases are often neglected till they are dry.
  5. bimmer84

bimmer84 New Member

I lucked out. I don't know if it was serviced before I bought it a 97k miles, but it now has 207k and this is the first time I looked at it.

It is a 95 suburban, so I assume a standard GM ATF is indicated, unless I switch it to synthetic?
  6. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I use the synthetic in the 'Burb because you do have a tendency to forget about the transfer case.
  7. 2COR517

2COR517 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

If it lasted that long, it was probably synthetic. Conventional Dino ATF has a problem with "misting off". One of the reasons GM changed the fluid spec to synthetic.