1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

I hit a deer at 50 mph

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by drm223, Feb 15, 2011.

Random Gallery Photos

1. drm223

drm223 New Member

So this winter I was humming along at about 50 on a back road when a deer jumped in front of my truck :shocked:.

I went right over him, and he went into the ditch. I stopped and looked at my truck (with 6000 miles on it) and sighed.

That little jerk dented my bumper.

Also that's deer number 5 in a Chevy pickup for me
  2. 1991 Suburban

1991 Suburban New Member 100 Posts

Hit a deer at 50, and no serious damage? That's what I call luck! Out here, we have to watch for deer, elk and cows. Deer and elk suck, 'cause you have to pay for the damage, but cows REALLY suck! Not only do you have to pay for vehicle damage (unless insurance covers it), but you have to pay for the cow too! About $500. That's straight out of your pocket, too. Insurance won't cover that...
  3. jwco5.3

jwco5.3 New Member 100 Posts

Poor deer.
  4. drm223

drm223 New Member

me + pickup truck = deer magnet for some reason

with all 5 that I have hit I never had any major damage
  5. murdog94

murdog94 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I have hit 4 deer in a 2 week period. 3 with my chevy and 1 with my nissan maxima.. The one that hit my maxima totaled it, and the 3 that i hit with the chevy one took a 2in chunk out of the grill, and the others didnt do anything. The one that took out the chunk i hit around 50, and the rest were slow since the roads were icy and my speedo had quit on me. So i know the feeling.
  6. ThatSilverStepside

ThatSilverStepside New Member 100 Posts

Ive never hit a deer *knocks on wood* of course if I did it could be fatal, being on a motorcycle and all..I've had some close calls but those deer whistles seem to work wonders, I've got a set on my Alero and when I get around 100ft of a deer they turn and run away..
  7. jwco5.3

One time I was riding with an ex girlfriend. She hit deer all the time and drove like a maniac. While she was complaining about her car looking horrible because of all the deer she hit, I told her to slow down (as a deer ran out in front of us and we plowed it).

In hind-sight..... it was her driving.
  8. troutbug

troutbug New Member 100 Posts

I've only hit one deer, and luckily, it was in a FORD! I was driving an econoline on my old delivery route on a 2-lane highway, and immediately after an oncoming tractor-trailer passed me, about 8 or 10 deer were suddenly crossing the road. I never saw them coming. How I managed to hit only one, I'll never know. Broke the neck of a big doe clean, no blood. Busted up the driver's side headlight and fender. State Trooper came by and (jokingly) told me it wasn't deer season!

My ex-wife, now that's a funny story. Before we were even dating, she managed to take out a whole herd with her ex-boyfriend's Toyota Tercel while fighting with him in the car. They are both pretty lucky to come away from that one. Talk about distracted drivers!
  9. jwco5.3

haha. I still laugh every time I think of that moment. It was such perfect timing.
  10. Vincennes02261897

Vincennes02261897 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Yeah, you folks need to invest the $10 it takes to buy those little deer whistles. We always had them on our vehicles growing up in rural west Texas and we never had any problems with the copious amounts of deer and antelope. I haven't yet put them on my Silverado but fortunately I haven't had any problems. A few close calls though. I've definitely seen deer total a few cars.