1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

I just did the steering rattle recommended temporary fix

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by bazar01, Aug 5, 2012.

1. bazar01

bazar01 Member 2 Years 100 Posts

I wonder why I waited too long to do this. The steering is now quiet and no more rattle. I removed the lower bolt inside the engine compartment and slid the shaft in and out a few times to distribute the grease back into the male and female splines. What happens was, over time the grease dries up from getting pushed into the rear cavity of the spline assembly and metal to metal contact happens due to the looser clearance from absence of grease. Just removing the bottom bolt allows you to move the male splines all the way back to the cavity and this pushes the grease residing there back into the splines. I know this is a temporay fix, but next time it dries up, I will just pull the steering shaft out, drill and tap a hole for a small grease fitting so I can re-grease the splines without pulling it out. I will also use a stickier grease. I know some of you will say just get the updated shaft and be done with it. I am cheap!
  2. bazar01

bazar01 Member 2 Years 100 Posts

I posted on the wrong forum. This should go to the Suburban forum. Moderator, please move to Suburban forums. Thanks.