1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

I just had a thought about my air bags...

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Talk & GM News' started by McClintoc, Aug 14, 2013.

1. McClintoc

McClintoc Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

My truck is about 12.5 years old and while it's easy to tell if most of the parts still work (headlights still come on, brakes still stop the truck, fuel pump still sends fuel to the engine, etc, etc) how do I tell if things like the air bags still "work"? Short of crashing my truck into a tree, is there any way to test the air bags? I'd hate to get in a wreck only to have my air bags not deploy because they are so old. Do air bags go bad?
  2. tbplus10

tbplus10 Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

Yes air bags do go bad, most air bags have a mfgr date and a "Placed In Service Date" on them.
    Manufacturers offer a replacement recomendation time period for air bags but its normally ignored due to the expense involved in replacing the air bags.
    Most (not all) air bags are considered expired after 10 yrs, its uncommon for them to be removed from service or replaced at that time though, cost's quite a bit to replace.
  3. McClintoc

Yeah, I've heard air bags are super pricey to repack or replace. :(
  4. csltrains96

csltrains96 Member

You're worried about the age of your air bags? A lot of us are still driving a truck that never had them to begin with!

:happy:
  5. McClintoc

Haha! That's actually a good point.
  6. 01SilveradoBeast

01SilveradoBeast New Member

That's funny you mention that, I read an article about that a few weeks ago. How they used to call for a service every ten years or so. I can't find the one I was reading but edmunds explains it here...
    http://www.edmunds.com/car-safety/do-car-airbags-expire.html

So, I'd say air bags don't expire...
  7. McClintoc

Thanks for the article! I like how it specifically mentions GM vehicles. As for my truck, the airbag light comes on at start-up then goes off and has never been on for a long period of time. Based soley on the article, I would say my airbags are good to go.