I Killed My Truck!!!

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by Toymyster, Nov 11, 2007.

1. Toymyster

Toymyster Rockstar 100 Posts

... Or at least my engine!!! Yes, This engine is completely dead!!! Surprisingly, the crankshaft is absolutely pristine!! The cam is fine, too. That can't be said about anything else, though!!! Check out the pics here:

http://www.slide.com/r/w3jnp9l34T8-...previous_view=mscd_embedded_url&view=original

I am in the process of building an engine for her, look for the pics of the rebirth coming soon, I hope!!!

I case you wonder: Foreign Object Damage!!!

2. unplugged

unplugged Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Wow! Once I didn't make sure the clips for the piston pin didn't seat properly. One came loose and I had a piston pin destroy the bore. What did the damage to your engine? Looks like you should think about using SeaFoam on the next engine.
    [​IMG]

3. Toymyster

It's a little past seafoam I'm afraid!! Cause of death was a small nut that got sucked into the intake!! The brown mud you see used to be synthetic engine oil, mixed with lots of coolant!!! I got everything ordered, so hopefully I'll have her running in no time!!

4. unplugged

unplugged Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Yes definitely time for a rebuild. I was just commenting on the carbon buildup on the piston tops. The carbon build up can cause hot spots resulting in detonation which is harmful to the engine. A can of SeaFoam 2-3 times a year will help reduce deposits. Also a good gas like Chevron's or Texaco's that has Techron is a good bet.
    [​IMG]

5. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy ↑↑↑ Has no life Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Holy Cow! That's quite an engine problem.... Well, that's one hell of a project for the auto shop class to work on. Hope everything goes well for you. What was it like when it threw the....piston top? I'm sure lots of nasty noises, but did it "spin down" or did it just seize? Good luck!

6. Toymyster

Thank you carwdaddy!! Unplugged; most of the carbon buildup is due to a fuel press. regulator that was going bad and I hadn't replaced yet. The valves looked very clean, usually do use good fuel!! The bottom end had over 160,000 miles on it. Like I mentioned, I always use synthetic oil. And another great product: Lucas fuel system treatment!! Use it every few tankfulls, and it does wonders!!!