1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

I know one of you have the answer to this Topper/Cap question

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Accessories' started by Tapper65, Jun 3, 2011.

1. Tapper65

Tapper65 New Member

I have had people tell me that a topper off of a 1999-2006 extended cab short box silverado will not fit on my 1999(newer body) regular cab short box. Is this true? One topper dealer said it will not fit properly but others said it would be just fine. Anyone know the answer? I hear the back of the cab is slanted more on extended then the regular cabs? Thanks in advance!

Eric

2. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I looked up and located the measures for Both Reg. Cab Fleetside Short Bed and Ext.Cab Fleetside Short Bed......for......the 2005" and the 1999" Silverado's.....they have the Following measurement's,

Below are the Measurement's for the a 2005" Silverado....Reg Cab and Ext Cab....both with Shortbed Fleetside's,
    Reg. Cab Fleetside ShortBed......Length Measurement of......77.76in's and a side to side, inside bed Measurement of....66.6in"....
    Ext. Cab Fleetside ShortBed.......Length Measurement of......77.76ins' and a side to side inside bed Measurement of.......66.6ins"

Below are the Measurement's for the 1999" Silverado.....Reg. Cab and Ext Cab....both with Shortbed Fleetside's,
    Reg Cab Fleetside Short bed.......Length Measurement of......77.8ins" and a side to side, inside Bed Measurement of.......64.9ins".
    Ext. Cab Fleetside Short bed.......Length Measurment of........77.8ins" and a side to side, in side Bed Measurement of......64.9ins"

Here is the Link I located the Measurement's from,
    http://www.gmupfitter.com/body_builder_manuals.html

3. Tapper65

Tapper65 New Member

Thanks for the info. I was told the beds are the same but the issue is with the pitch of the back of the cab. The regualr is more strait up and down and the extended is more sloped... Can anyone confirm this? I suppose I could go look at some extended cabs...

4. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

There isnt enough of a difference to matter. The gap will large enough, and it will still look good.

5. pmf608

pmf608 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

The bed sizes should be the same, and the specs listed above are probably for a classic 99 to have a difference like that. The cabs should be the same, and even if they are different though, it wouldn't be enough of a difference to affect anything. One thing to look out for though is that GM has a 'standard' box, which is what you have, and a 'short' box which is only 5'8", so whatever you buy, make sure it is the right length, as 'standard' boxes are often called short boxes.

6. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Well, now I'm going to have to look for a reg. and extended cab trucks tomorrow and check 'em out. Thanks Tapper65. LOL.