1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

    The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

    Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

I love it, but it's time to let go....

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by Naptime, Jun 18, 2012.

  1. Ape

    Ape New Member

    I just dropped a new crate engine in mine for 2 grand. After buying new emnissions stuff and sensors I probably got near 2,500 into it. But well worth it IMO.
    If the dealership would've dropped it in for me it would've been another 2 grand. Still not bad comparitively.
  2. SurrealOne

    SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

    Your Burb looks good and has some improvements done to it to suit your taste. You need to decide if you are going to keep it and, if so, simply roll with the punches and sink the cash into it. I like what I see in your pic; I personally wouldn't part with it if it was mine. If I wanted a Jeep I'd fix the Burb -and- get the Jeep. It might delay when I could get the Jeep but it's doable. And 5k for an engine sounds steep...
  3. oldmanstruck

    oldmanstruck New Member

    getting a Jeep? who know what problems will come with it :)

    I have a 88 sub and my wife keeps telling me to "let it go", "get a newer one"... I told her at least I know what problem my 88 has vs buying another "unknown"
    Don't think too much about how much you would sell for in later time, that reasoning is kind of pointless unless you are going to sell it NOW
  4. Naptime

    Naptime New Member

    Regarding the unknown problems. That is a valid point, but it applies to all non-new components on the burb as well. And there is a short list of 'knowns' too. I look at it like this, fixing the burb or buying the replacement, basically sets the clock back at zero for both in the unknown problem area.
  5. Naptime

    Naptime New Member

    The 5k is ballpark from the shop. Historically his ballpark is on the high side and the bill is less. However, he's telling me we may not be able to find a motor. I say "but they are all over the internet for sale". His response was to "just try and actually get one". So my only option might be to rebuild this one.
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2012
  6. Ape

    Ape New Member

    What engine does your Burb have now? Your local Chevy dealer will have one on hand I'd bet.
  7. tbplus10

    tbplus10 Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

    You know with a little work you could drop in a 383 stroker and still get close to the same HP as your 454, and possibly get a little better price on the engine. I know thier easier to find.
  8. ChevyFan

    ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 1000 Posts

    What exactly is the issue with the 454¿
  9. Naptime

    Naptime New Member

    A fantastic question. At this point we do not know exactly.

    It had a bad miss. They found very low compression in #2. Pulled the manifold etc. off, and found broken lifters. They suspect the cam and lifters were oil deprived. Possible bad cam bearing(?) I believe he said.

    He's saying they need to get the cam out to really see what's up.

    I put a hold on progress until other options, new engine, new vehicle, etc, are explored.
  10. Naptime

    Naptime New Member

    I've read some guys have gone that route. Honestly, this truck NEEDS the 454. If there was a 554, I'd buy it!

Share This Page