1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

I love it, but it's time to let go....

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by Naptime, Jun 18, 2012.

1. Salesguy1980

Salesguy1980 Rockstar 100 Posts

You have a great looking burb, I would look into a crate 502 to replace the 454. Should be a lot easier to find and I think you can get direct from GM even. If its rust and rot free and in overall decent shape, I'd keep her and drop a new motor. The new jeeps are nice looking but still a jeep and they carry their own list of issues including an underpowered v6 unless you explore a hemi option and then who knows what issues will happen
  2. Naptime

Naptime Rockstar 100 Posts

What I was looking at is an 06 Unlimited Rubicon. Oddly enough I hear those motors are equally rare since the Chrysler BK. At any rate, that car doesn't look like an option.

The truck is a California car. Absolutely clean and solid. Thanks for the suggestion, I'll make some calls on motors tomorrow.

Update...
    Called several places on crate motors. GM does have them. I'm looking at about $5500 installed.
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2012
  3. NagRuTan

NagRuTan Rockstar

Greets,

Thats a shame, we have 454's all over up here pretty damn cheap. One down the block from me is out of a 96 burb with 100,000 for $700.00. and looking on CL for my area shows no less then 10 of em for under 1k. If ya wanted to go used. Another option you might want to try if your looking for a replacement 454 is to call local boat repair shops and local marina's, the 454 is a very popular boat motor :)

Nag.
  4. Naptime

Any around here have had saltwater run through them.
  5. NagRuTan

NagRuTan Rockstar

Greets,

Sorry, didn't even think of that one. Being in Michigan i always relate to fresh water stuff :)

Nag.
  6. RallySTX

RallySTX Member 100 Posts

If I had what you have already stuck into the truck, I would fix it, and keep it. Either a good low mile used motor from a salvage yard, or a new motor from either the dealer, or aftermarket. Get the 502 if you can, as you say you could use more power. That's a NICE lookin sub. I don't know where you are at, but believe me, you CAN find a motor if you want one. If I had the van I'm paying for now, I would offer to deliver whatever engine you need for the cost of fuel. I just helped move a TBI 454 for my friend last month. If your sub makes you as happy as driving my van makes me, NEVER LET HER GO.
    Brian L.
  7. janikphoto

janikphoto Rockstar 3 Years 100 Posts

Not sure why you're willing to give up... a new engine is still a lot cheaper than a new vehicle!
  8. Salesguy1980

Salesguy1980 Rockstar 100 Posts

Who quoted you $5,500? if a dealership i would def shop this with other dealers and non dealers who have access to the same engine. Like buying a vehicle you need to shop for the best deal and take that price to your fav dealer or shop and ask them to beat it.
  9. Naptime

The shop wants 1500 for the swap. GM quoted 3743.00 for a reman, 300 back for core. I also called several internet sites, all were more. At least with GM I can drop off the core when I pick up the crate.

So it's 4943.00 I'm adding 500 for new stuff that will undoubtedly be needed. That may not end up being enough.
  10. NagRuTan

NagRuTan Rockstar

Greets,

Should we start up a "Save Naptime's burb fund raiser" :glasses:

Nag.