I need help on tire size AFTER lift

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by Tater, Feb 18, 2009.

1. Tater

Tater Member

Hey ya'll was talkin to a shop back home about puttin a torsion key levelin kit on my truck, and Dick Cepek DC-1 Black in a 17x9.. the only thing is, he says with the lift he will only be able to fit 32" tires on there. is that because of how wide the rims are? or is he wrong? I already have 285/75/16 on the stock rim on there now with no lift, which if my math is right, thats a 32.8??? Just confused as of why i would have to go down in tire size AFTER a lift?

2. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

nedd help tire size after lift

Your stock rim is only 7.5 to 8.0in. wide. Your 17X9 wheel is only 1.5 to 2.0 wider, but the backspacing is different, moving it out further and this may cause it to rub.

3. Pete95Sierra

Pete95Sierra Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

with the leveling kit and those rims I would say you will be fine with a 33/12.5 tire. you may have to cut a little plastic up front but thats about it. what kind of truck do you drive and what tires are you lookin at?

BTW nice choice on the black DC-1 i was always fond of them

and 285/75R16 tires are around a 33/11.5

4. 95CTburb19

95CTburb19 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

yeah it would really make me angry if I had to go down a tire size after a lift. Maybe you could see if they make the DC-1's with a different backspacing, that could help with potential rubbing issues. :neutral:

5. Tater

Tater Member

I have an '03 Silverado z71 ext cab, and I was lookin at the DC-1's and honeslty havnt decided on tires.. I drive in woods alot but its also my daily driver that I take on I-10 and run 80 mph. So workin on that

6. jerrynino

jerrynino Rockstar ROTM Winner 100 Posts

you cant put 285's on a 9 in rim with just a leveling kit. i did that to mine (17x9) motometals and they rub a bit... i cut a piece off and had a piece of the metal welded off to minimize the rubbing even more... still rubs though at certain angles... im gonna lift it again about 3 inches using rc suspension kit

7. DrewsZ71

DrewsZ71 Rockstar 100 Posts

I had the same questions about mine as well, except i was going with the ProComp 20"X8.5" wheels and some 305/55/20 tires which equates to just a little over 33". It only rubs when have the wheels fully turned in either direction but very slightly. I have a leveling kit on mine as well, but no body/suspension lift. Your offset/backspacing and the width of the rim does make a big difference. I wanted 20X10 but the the offset was -12 and that would have stuck out too much and would severly rub. If you don't want to lift your truck just find some wheels that are more narrow and/or go with an offset closer to your centerline (if you have the room) Thats what I had to do.

8. Tater

Tater Member

Well the 305/70 Goodyear Wrangler MT/R on a 17x9 MT Classic II fit!! Had to trim a little off that plastic peice under bumper but other than that its all gravy! The MT's had a 0 offset so it worked out well!

Last edited: Jun 30, 2009
  9. Cfl383

Cfl383 Rockstar

I Second that

10. bob13

bob13 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

On your truck you should have more room than a NBS. I had an 03 and ran about that size. That being said the back-spacing and the offset on the DC-1s is VERY different than stock. As you can see I know. The difference between the stock rim and the DC-1 was unbelievable on my truck. I have very very slight rubbing on my truck with the DC-1s and had room to spare with the stock rims. I would ask for a test fit of the tires, my local shop did it for me. Even if they test fir any brand that is the same size. Good Luck! Obviously I like your coice in rims.