1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

i need help w/electronic spark module code

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by mera914, Mar 25, 2009.

1. mera914

mera914 New Member

Hello, i have a 1994 chevy 1/2 ton, 4x4. We recently had the engine overhauled. Since we started it back up i been having problems with it not running right. The timing is right. I keep getting a code for the electronic spark module. I replaced it and the truck runs the same as before. Does anybody have any advice? Distributor cap,rotor,plugs, wires all new
  2. Springthing

Springthing Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I know it's not the help you are seeking, and I'm sure that will come in the near future, but my thought on the issue is that the shop that did the engine install should be contacted to see if they'll get things running right for you.

Unless you did the work yourself. If so.... well.. we'll wait for someone that might have words of advice on what to check!
  3. Thundare

Thundare Rockstar 100 Posts

Can u explain a little more, like hows it running, is it shaking? does it Pop? ect
  4. Jimmiee

Jimmiee Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

There are circuit and performance codes pertaining to the ESM. If you post the actual code you will get more help on this problem.

Jim
  5. mera914

mera914 New Member

need help w/esm

The truck runs very rough, rpm's surge from the time you start it until it just dies. I will try to get the code again.Thanks
  6. mrfixdit

mrfixdit Rockstar 100 Posts

Esm

A good place to start is with the simple stuff , air, fuel, spark, Check all vacuum lines for condition and placement ( I usually take many, many close up pictures before starting a job so I can refer to them later if troubles rise), check plug wires with a meter ( just because they are new doesn't mean they are good) check plug wire positions with firing order. Same goes for the electronic spark module- just because its new doesn't mean its good, if you can get one through a buddys' vehicle or something try a "known good" spark module.
  7. daddytech

daddytech Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

I would check all your wires to make sure they are all installed properly, it's really easy to get one or two of those wires crossed up when you replace the cap and it only takes one of those being off for it to run weird and register misfires which would show up as a spark control module code, though if you had an actual spark control module you wouldn't nessecarily have a rotor cap, it would be a coil pack also go back and double check to make sure your rotor button is fastened down properly and tight.
  8. mera914

mera914 New Member

Thanks, i will get to checking on all these tips and ill post what i find. Thanks again