Newest Gallery Photos

1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

i need help....

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by 02silverad0, Jun 12, 2009.

1. 02silverad0

02silverad0 Rockstar

i broke a tap off in one of my motor mount bolt holes in my block any suggestions on how to remove it??
  2. Joeairforce

Joeairforce Epic Member 5+ Years 100 Posts

Take it to a machine shop, let them do it the right way........... (learned the hard way on other parts)
  3. mrfixdit

mrfixdit Rockstar 100 Posts

broken tap

I hope I can describe this so it can be understood but here goes. The tap has threads for cutting and valleys for clearing away the cuttings so those "valleys" should provide a means for getting some grip. I once had success by heating a small hex key and bending it into a U shape that fit nicely into the "valley" gaps and then used an adjustable wrench to wiggle it back and forth til it worked free. Good luck.
  4. Jimmiee

Jimmiee Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Good post! blowing a sharp blast of air also helps remove any chips. Once it starts to move keep turning it back and fourth. Work it this way until it's out.
  5. 02silverad0

02silverad0 Rockstar

sweet thanks for the info
  6. daddytech

daddytech Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

a good screw extractor set should be able to get it out for you too . I have a pro set, and i also was bought a set of those "grabit's" the pro set you have to drill the hole first through the center of the bolt then twist your extractor bit into the hole. let it grab and then back it out slowly. The grabit works about half of the time as long as the screw isn't too small.
  7. Jimmiee

Jimmiee Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

The problem is you cannot drill a hole in a hardened tap. :grrrrrr:
  8. bry2500

bry2500 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

9. 02silverad0

02silverad0 Rockstar