1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

I need hlep! ~ 1991 K1500

Discussion in 'Chevy C/K Truck Forum' started by 2003-5.3-V8, Oct 2, 2011.

1. 2003-5.3-V8

2003-5.3-V8 New Member

My friend has a 1991 K1500 5.7 V8 4WD, and he has a few questions:

1. I have a 22in cherry bomb glasspack dumped before the rear axle, but its not that loud and dosent sound that good to me, should i get headers to make it louder, or should i true dual the the stock y-pipe to make it sound better, or both? (i like the sound of a cherybomb vortex and i can get it in a dual inlet/dual outlet if needed)

2. I also have a problem with power and fuel econ., she just dosent have the giddy-up-n-go power i want nor the fuel economy, i put a K&N replacement filter on it and removed the stock muffler and replaced it with a glasspack (as stated in the first question) to try to get her to breathe a little better but i didn't really see much of a change, what can i do to improve the performance of my Chevy without losing fuel economy?

I am on a budget but im not looking to buy everything by next week so any suggestions on my truck would be greatly appreciated!
  2. Caddiac

Caddiac Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

Without a little more information it is hard to say. How many miles do the truck have on it? If the mileage is high a compression check might be in order. How about tire size? Is the truck lifted, does he run off road tires and have there been any modifications to the drive train? A lifted truck with big tires will hurt your fuel economy. Any thing that impedes the wheels from turning is going to degrade efficiency. Brake drag, under inflated tires are small contributors but together can be costly.

I am not big on parts swapping; old does not mean worn out. But check the resistance in your plug wires, inspect the plug wires, distributor cap, and rotor. If the engine is not running the factory plugs or if they need changing, that would be one of the first steps. Look for a leak on vacuum lines and consider changing the fuel filter if it has been a while. I was blow away by the crap that came out of my last one. Can of seafoam or two can make even a Ford run better. Well, that might be a stretch but cleaning out the crud can hurt any.

Headers are up to you. I had a factory 2 into 1 exhaust and I changed the muffler to a flow master 2 in 2 out. I like the sound but it is not what I would call loud. Assuming the cat is still on there you can check the exhaust pressure to see if there is any blockage. That would be low on my priority list though. Depending how long he has had the truck, verify the CEL is working. I have seen posts where guys have found out that the truck they purchased used was later found to be missing the bulb in the CEL. Could have been a factory oversight. Or, more likely, a dishonest bastard was somewhere in the trucks past.
  3. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

My favorite $10.00 fix is cleaning the throttle body, and MAF sensor. Autozone has the CRC brand of MAF cleaner and throttle body cleaner. My 01 S10 was running horrible a couple weeks ago, so I pulled the throttle body off COMPLETELY and cleaned it. Cleaned the MAF, and also removed the EGR valve and cleaned it and found that it was completely stuck shut! No check engine lights were on either, the truck runs like glass now.
  4. j.myles.gardner

j.myles.gardner New Member

Seafoam is pretty impressive how much crud it can clean out, I used one can in the gas and another in the vacuum system. It got rid of a lot of grime, Truck saw about 1mpg better gas economy.
  5. 2003-5.3-V8

2003-5.3-V8 New Member

How do I put it in the vacuum system?
  6. Caddiac

Caddiac Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

Suck the whole bottle through the brake booster line. You have to pull it out when the engine sounds like it is going to choke down and then ram it home again until it is all gone. Then shut it down and let it sit in there. The label tells you how long but some guys on here have reported going for as long as 4 hours before starting it up. When you do start it up, drive it hard until it stops smoking. I basically floored it every time I took off from a light. It looked like the truck was on fire there was so much smoke!