I need input on programmers

Discussion in 'Programmers & Tuning' started by zippstripp, Sep 15, 2013.

1. zippstripp

zippstripp Member 1 Year

I've got a '09 Silverado 5.3( LMQ code). What programmer type/style is a decent one without refinancing the house to get? Also, after you have it set where you want it can it be unplugged or does it have to be left hooked up.?

2. stchman

stchman Active Member 1 Year 1000 Posts

What's your budget? What do you want to do with the programmer?

Most of the programmers that I am familiar with simply re-program the ECU with the new setting and save the old configuration if one wants to flash back to stock.

3. 06MonteSS

06MonteSS Rockstar 4 Years 100 Posts

The DiabloSport inTune or Trinity programmers would both work for your truck... and no, you do not need to keep them connected/plugged-in all the time... you only have to connect it to the truck when you are installing a tune, or recording a data log...

The diablosport tools have the most end-user adjustable parameters available than any others... complete data logging capabilities and full parameter support.. scan/clear trouble codes.... restore original backup stock tunes at any time and no worries about warranty/dealers... PLUS, you can get CUSTOM TUNING done for the diablo tools, which you can not with the others - you'd be stuck with whatever tunes they give you on them...

I sell both the inTune and Trinity programmers, and I also offer a package deal as well that includes my custom tuning at a reduced cost so you'd save some $$. ;)

You can find info about them, as well as links to my Package Deals, Testimonials, etc. on my site here: http://www.diablewtune.com and http://www.diablewtune.com/package_deals.html

as for the difference between the two... I actually have both the inTune and Trinity for my car... tune wise, the tunes are the same. adjustable parameters are the same, and of course my custom tune would be the same as well... the trinity has a few more features, including a performance monitor for 0-60, 1/8 mile and 1/4 mile times, etc... bigger color touch screen... graphic gauges for monitoring data... it has a windshield mount (like a gps), a bigger, color screen... you can watch/view the data without having to hold it, since it's mounted to the windshield... there's also an available gauge pod mount adapter for it, so if you have a gauge pod like on your a-pillar, you could mount it right in there with the pod mount... the inTune does not have a mount, so you have to hold it or put it on the seat next to you...

A lot of people like the inTune better - because it's smaller (it's the size of a credit card), they don't need or want the extra features, and it's less expensive...and it's a little easier to use than the Trinity when it comes to data logging and importing/export tune files for custom tuning, since you don't have to use any extra software - everything is just copy/paste with the inTune.

So really, it's up to you which one you'd want... if you don't want/need the extra features/bell-n-whistles, then you can go with the inTune - and it's less expensive...

here are links to their user manuals so you can check them both out:

Trinity user manual: http://diablosport.com/manualFiles/Trinity/Trinity_Comp_User_Manual.pdf

inTune user manual: http://diablosport.com/manualFiles/inTune_Comp_User_Manual.pdf

Any questions, please feel free to hit me up...

Thanks!
    -Lew

4. allterrainman

allterrainman New Member

I have a Hyper Tech in my 2012 GMC and im very pleased with it but I also use it with a cold air intake and throttle body spacer. You dont have to leave it in just plug it in and it will download the new program which you can change shift points, speed limiter, anything you want basically. It will store your old program on there so anytime you take it in to the shop just deprogram it and they will never know.

5. stchman

A throttle body spacer is worthless on that truck's intake. All it will give you is a whistling sound.

6. 06MonteSS

06MonteSS Rockstar 4 Years 100 Posts

yeah, throttle body spacers are useless on anything 2006 and newer... doesn't do anything for you, except to lighten your wallet....

7. stchman

I read that they are useless on all but TBI setups.

8. darnie1987

darnie1987 Rockstar 100 Posts

if you end up getting a programmer go with DiabloSport inTune or get a mail order tune from nelsons racing or blackbear. all the others are a waste of $$$$ ive ran a super chips, a hyper tech, and a bully dog in my truck and the nelsons blew them all away...

9. allterrainman

allterrainman New Member

your right all I really noticed was the whistling sound but hey it sounds cool to me and that's what matters