1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

I need lift advice

Discussion in 'Lifted & Offroad Suspension' started by TexAg95, Jun 25, 2009.

1. TexAg95

TexAg95 New Member

I own a 2007 Sierra 1500 (new body style) 4x4. I'd like to put new wheels and bigger tires on it to give it a more masculine look. I do NOT intend to use this truck for off roading, just don't want it to look like I just drove it off the car lot anymore. I hear there are front end leveling kits, 3" body lift kits and 4"-6" suspension lift kits. You guys are the experts, what would you recommend and are any of these kits easier to install in my garage than another? I'm not too price sensitive but don't want to throw money down the drain for unnecessary parts or kits that I don't need.

Also, what size wheels should I get...i.e. what size wheels go best with lifted trucks, smaller wheels to empahsize the larger tire or comparable wheels and tire sizes so one doesn't overshadow the other?

If you have pictures of your truck please share them and tell me what parts you used to customize it!

Thanks!
  2. countryboy73703

countryboy73703 New Member

my opinion

alright, well if you don't want to offroad, then I wouldn't suggest a 4-6 inch lift, cause you really just don't need the clearance, I'm not sure if they make a smaller lift, how ever you must take into consideration that even a 2 or 3 inch lift, will give you more room for a bigger tire, and personally I would suggest a 31 or 33 inch all-terrain, however, if you put a bigger tire, then it will give you more clearance as well as your lift, and it won't look stock, also you can redo your exhaust or get different lighting or rims if you just want it to look different from stock
  3. Greg84

Greg84 New Member 100 Posts

I've got the rough country 3" suspension lift that I just put on last Saturday. Did it myself in my garage with just hand tools and a floor jack, it took me about 8 hours to do but if I had to do it again I'm sure I could do it in half the time. I was really taking my time, must've put the front diff in and out 5 times (you have to grind one fin off, I didn't want to take off too much so I went a little at a time and test fit it). It definitely needed an alignment when I was done though, had that done the next day when I got the tires on it. Tires are 285/70/17.

So far I like it. I've got 2 inches of clearance yet to make it in the garage, its definitely taller but I don't have to climb or jump in and out like you do with some of the 6" or higher lifts. Price wasn't bad either, $430 shipped including the new upper control arms.

[​IMG]
  4. ippielb

ippielb New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I recommend the Rough Country 3" suspension lift or a leveling kit. With 285's.
  5. Pete95Sierra

Pete95Sierra New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

greg84 the truck looks sweet man!! and I agree go with the RC 3" kit and run a 33/12.5 or so tire. The rim size is more up to you than us. go with what you prefer. look on google and do some picture searchin
  6. masterfoxscout

masterfoxscout New Member 100 Posts

BDS 4" Suspension FTW!
  7. Crakums_GT

Crakums_GT New Member 100 Posts

Greg84, you just made my day. I've been waiting to see a NBS truck that I really liked. Yours would be it. I haven't been to fond of the new trucks until seeing yours. Good job on the setup. As far as the lift situation. I would go with a 4" for a good masculine look and stick with tires no bigger than 33's. Going any bigger/higher would rob your MPG. I know because I have a 6" with 35's that I loved when I was in AZ and went offroad a lot, but now that I'm in ND and don't do much offroading here, I am now looking at switching out my mud terrains for some all terrains and regearing to attempt to get back some MPG. That's just my 2 cents. Hope it helps.

-Greg
  8. TexAg95

TexAg95 New Member

Greg84, your truck looks great! Mine is almost identical, same color, same factory rims, just a crew cab, so it is great seeing a picture of what it could look like with a 3" lift. I will definitely check out what rough country has to offer. One more question I have for you is about the front of your truck being level, does the 3" lift raise the front more than the rear to get it level, or do you have to purchase a front end leveling kit in addition to the 3" lift?
  9. vncj96

vncj96 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Nice lookin truck:party: This was to be my suggestion just a 2-3 inch lift and slightly bigger tires.
  10. 02silverad0

02silverad0 New Member

cst 8'' lift and 22s wrapped in 37s would be sooooo nice