Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

I need some advice on a Silverado.

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Talk & GM News' started by Dan P, Sep 24, 2011.

1. Dan P

Dan P New Member

First off whats up, My name is Dan I am new to this web page forum. I am looking to getting a Silverado per rquest of my grandpa who has been a chevy fan for 80+ years. I'm pretty abusive to my vehicles as I am an adrenaline Junkie. I want to Buy a Silverado that I can build into a street rod, I would very much like a 2d 2wd with a short bed. I want to be able to boost it hopefully with a supercharger. I am unsure if I should get a diesel, I personally think it would be cool to Build a Diesel Speed Demon. What year should I be looking for?

2. Gregsyellorado

Gregsyellorado Rockstar

Welcome, first off let me say, that a diesel is not offered in a rcsb truck, not to say that it couldn't be done, but just pricey, Second what is your budget? I persoanlly would stay with any GMC/Chevrolet from 1999-Current. The engines in the trucks are based on the current LS series that GM uses. They are available in 4.8, 5.3, and 6.0. All are pretty potent, even the 4.8 (check ou the article below). If you are looking to build a nasty hot rod, the 74-87 body style is popular now, and they are still resonably priced, also the 67-72 bodystyle is nice, and the 88-98 body is nice. And any parts needed for restoration LMC has em. Either way you go keep us posted and welcome to the madness.

Stock GM LS Engine - Big Bang Theory - Hot Rod Magazine

3. Sierraowner5.3

Sierraowner5.3 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

good lord. 1200+ out of 4.8?

Alex

4. Dan P

Dan P New Member

i need something i can finance, and im trying not to go above 14g i just got rid of my 2010 5.7 tundra cuz it was 36g too much. My Army Salary doesnt allow me too many options.

5. Mean_Green_95

Mean_Green_95 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I'd get a 5.3. Put on a CAI, exhaust, tune or cam+tune. The stock 5.3's are pretty stout stock.

6. Dan P

Dan P New Member

ok im glad you all have replied, and im glad we have motor suggestions, but what year truck. i want a solid truck i can always swap the motor.

7. Mean_Green_95

I believe from 00-03 all the trucks had the mechanical gas pedal, and 04-present has the fly-by-wire pedal. You lose a lil throttle response with the electric pedal, but gain much better economy. The newer models also have more power out of the box. Nothing much else changed from year to year in the mechanical department to my knowledge. In the interior, the window switches, cluster, radio + bezel, and cup holders all had minor changes. The front ends changed also, but I'm not sure when during the production run they changed. On the Chevys the tail lights changed in 04 I believe. Thats really all I can think of at the moment.

8. Dan P

Dan P New Member

thanks mean green.

9. BlackJack1500

BlackJack1500 Rockstar

Not all the 03s have the mechanical throttle. I am kinda in the market for another truck and I test drove an 03 Sierras SLE. I opened the hood and sure enough it had the electronic throttle body control. Maybe its just on the 03 Sierras. I had to ask the dealer twice and they said its an 03.

10. Mean_Green_95

I think that was the transitional year so some might be equipped with it and some might not be. You're just gonna have to do like BlackJack said andd open the hood and look.