1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

I need to go through the fire wall

Discussion in 'GM Electrical Tech' started by OneWheelWonder, Feb 6, 2011.

1. OneWheelWonder

OneWheelWonder New Member

Im adding some power accessories in the near future and, I plan on putting an additional fuse block inside the truck to run all of these things. Does anyone have a good recommendation on where to come through the fire wall with 1 or 2 wires (probably 8awg or so).

Also,
    Im looking for a good place to mount the fuse block. Somewhere hidden but still able to get to it. Its a single cab pick up so theres not a whole heck of a lot of room in the cab but that would be the best place if possible. Any ideas?

Here is the link to the fuse bank if your curious
    http://www.go2marine.com/product.do?no=111767F&WT.mc_id=gb1
  2. ippielb

ippielb New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Drill a hole through the firewall, put your wires through, be generous with silicone around the wires inside and out to make sure it doesn't leak. I need to do the same with my truck right away here for my CB radio and for my air horn.
  3. TritonBoulder47

TritonBoulder47 New Member 100 Posts

What I did with my '03 Avalanche was drill a hole through the floor pan about 8-10 inches fron where the firewall curves down. since the floor of my truck has a 1 inch plastic spacer between the carpet and the floorboard, it made running wires easy... Just don't forget to use a plastic or rubber grommet on the hole to vibrations don't rub through your wires...
  4. DAREDEVIL

DAREDEVIL New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

they make wire seals for any size !!!! just sayin...
  5. vncj96

vncj96 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Silicon can dry and get cut by the thin sheet metal, you can get grommets just for that at oreillys or an autozone. I have always run it through the firewall right by the master cylinder. There is less in the way on that side,measy to get the wires out of the way and look neat and less heat as well, plus then you are right next to the factory fuse blocks.
  6. KidHauler

KidHauler New Member 100 Posts

If I recall, there is a body plug/grommet on the driver side floor pan - about where your left foot rides, maybe a little higher. Pull the carpet back to gain access, and the hole exits between the floor pan and the inner wheel well. From there, you can route wires all over.