Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

I need to know

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by jbattlesjr, Mar 19, 2010.

1. jbattlesjr

jbattlesjr New Member

I am not exactly sure but I am trying to find out what tranny I have. I have a 1996 Suburban K1500. I just want to know what the stock tranny.

2. Joeairforce

Joeairforce Epic Member 5+ Years 100 Posts

If it's a Gas engine you have a 4L60E....... If it's a Diesel engine you have a 4L80E..

3. SupplySgt

SupplySgt Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

IIRC diesels were not offered in the 1/2 tons in 96. Only in the 3/4 tons. I could be wrong however I doubt I am. Which by process of elimination would make it the 4L60E. It's basically an electronically controlled version of the 700R4 that was in so many GM cars and trucks (along with the smaller 200R4) from the early 80s through the early 90s (most models went to the 4L60E version of the 700R4 in 93 and that was basically the end of the 200R4 at that point)