1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

I need to "learn about cars" - new GM Chairman

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by ChevyFan, Jun 10, 2009.

1. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 1000 Posts

June 10 (Bloomberg) -- Edward E. Whitacre Jr. built AT&T Inc. into the biggest U.S. provider of telephone service over a 43-year-career. By his own admission, he becomes chairman of General Motors Corp. knowing nothing about the auto industry.

The 6-foot-4-inch Texan nicknamed “Big Ed” said steering the nation’s largest automaker after bankruptcy is “a public service.” People who know him say he can meet GM’s need for the type of transformation he orchestrated at Dallas-based AT&T.

“I don’t know anything about cars,” Whitacre, 67, said yesterday in an interview after his appointment. “A business is a business, and I think I can learn about cars. I’m not that old, and I think the business principles are the same.”

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=newsarchive&sid=aQ._YJhEj_Jo
  2. unplugged

unplugged New Member 1000 Posts

I wonder what kinds of cars are in his history? An eclectic mix of four door cruisers, a muscle car, a pick up truck and an Italian exotic maybe? Probably not. More like a German luxocruiser and a Japanese SUV. We can only hope that he steers the new GM to a permanent place in the auto industry.
  3. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 1000 Posts

I have faith that lifetime GM'er Fritz Henderson, the CEO of GM, will keep the course. I'm not sure anymore if Bob Lutz is still around, he was a true "car guy" and there are some great folks still in GM that are just incredible.