I now gota push my break in pretty far and my dashboard break light warning comes on?

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Talk & GM News' started by jgignac21, Dec 7, 2011.

Newest Photos

1. jgignac21

jgignac21 New Member

I now gota push my break in pretty far and my dashboard break light warning comes on?
    I need help with this because its only been recent but ive felt that ive been pushing a little
    more and more and now its getting scary because i dont know if that means the breaks will give out?
    Im pretty sure its not the pads cuz they arent old but i need suggestions asap. thank you!!!
  2. dsfloyd

dsfloyd New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

A little more info on the truck will help.

even though not old check the condition of the pads and rotors.
    look for leaks in the brake lines/check level in master cylinder.

Does it buld pressure if you pump the brakes?
    If so then could be air in the lines/master cylinder.
    If not then could be leaks, bad booster, bad master cylinder.

If you are fairly handy take a look. if you really dont have much knowledge or experience with brakes then I would suggest taking it to a shop as its a great safety hazzard and would like to keep you and everyone else safe if something in the braking system is failing.
  3. rondogg779

rondogg779 New Member

all is covered lol.
  4. jgignac21

jgignac21 New Member

yea im pretty handy, I was just hoping for a headstart before i start guessin, btw its a "97 silverado" probably should have said that before.
    the breaking is very strange, when i pulse it it sort of builds pressure yet it doesnt at all? very hard to explain thats why i need suggestions haha
    ive owned the truck for about 6 months and over the course of that time ive had to push the break further and further and now about everyother time that little light comes on and i cant search what that means because when i type in anything about break light coming on it obviously only brings up like break/tail light information not the small in dash light
  5. dsfloyd

dsfloyd New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

ok then ya I would check for the fluid level/leaks, bulging or soft spots in the rubber lines. from there possibly a master cylinder or brake booster issue.
  6. jgignac21

jgignac21 New Member

i checked the fluids last night and they looked fine? doesnt mean i didnt look wrong haha will for sure double check, thanks
    Would my breaks just give out eventually because of this?
  7. rondogg779

rondogg779 New Member

i have a 96 and the master cylinder started leaking on it.you could possibly have air in the lines as well my bleeder valve kept coming loose on drivers front and i ended up with the same symptoms so i replaced it as well.
  8. billnorman

billnorman New Member 100 Posts

If you have to push the BRAKE pedal farther all the time it could mean several things, not all of which I will cover. The rear brakes could be severely out of adjustment: the master cylinder may have failed internally: you may have air in the lines: you may have a leaking wheel cylinder or caliper: you may have a ballooning hose (rare). Why not check these and get back to us? Bad brakes are nothing to mess with if you don't know how to fix them properly, find someone that does.
  9. chevytruckinrem85

chevytruckinrem85 New Member

had the same problem, replaced master cylinder fixed problem. now the brakes work better then ever
  10. jgignac21

jgignac21 New Member

i bled the breaks last night but i couldnt get the front drivers side bleeder valve was stripped and rusted from the person before me and i tried everything i could to get that one off, but the rest were bled very well. Still not solved, maybe since that one couldnt bleed but you would thing even doing three it would help a little