GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

I Seafoamed my truck today.

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by ZSI52, Mar 14, 2010.

1. ZSI52

ZSI52 New Member

All I can say is wow. Their wasn't a lot of smoke that came out, but it runs like a brand new truck. It has had a real rough idle lately and it felt really sluggish when accelerating. It almost seemed like all the power was gone. I had been looking at seafoam for a few months and I figured I would just take a leap and do it. I bought 2 cans yesterday and done it today. I put 3/4's of a can in the brake booster vacuum line. Then the rest of that can in the oil and I put 1/2 of the other can in the Gas tank. It runs so much better. Im going to leave it in the oil until next week when I change the oil.
  2. Mean_Green_95

Mean_Green_95 New Member

I love seafoam. I use it every time I change my oil. I wait till I'm about 200 miles till due, put about half the bottle in the crankcase, then drive off the next 200. The first time I did it, at 157k, the oil came out junky and black. It progressively got better. Now, at 172k, the oil comes out the color of a dark honey. I swear by that stuff.
  3. ZSI52

ZSI52 New Member

I was amazed by the results. It was well worth the $20 for 2 cans.
  4. Mean_Green_95

Mean_Green_95 New Member

Def. I will never use another product that claims it does the same stuff.
  5. Big_Ben

Big_Ben New Member

Live and breathe by it! I put that in everything, snowmobiles, 4wheelers, trucks, cars you name it. I've never tried it in anything except for the gas tank but that seems to do enough wonders for me. When adding to oil do you juts pour it in where you would add oil?
  6. Mean_Green_95

Mean_Green_95 New Member

Yep, just pour it into the filler tube. No easier than that. Just don't run that stuff in the oil for too long. I wouldn't want it to clog up the filter.
    1 person likes this.
  7. Big_Ben

Big_Ben New Member

thanks! I just changed the oil about a week ago, so I'll toss it in when I'm getting close to due for another one as you suggested and see what happens. What does it do for oil? I know it cleans out the fuel system and carbs tremendously but I've never read the part about oil.

Changing the spark plugs in my truck tomorrow and I haven't had a can of this stuff in my truck for almost a year now so I think I'll throw some in.

another quick question - I've been told not to use fuel injector cleaners along with high octane (91) fuel, to just use one or the other... any issues with using seafoam in a tank with premium gasoline?
  8. z3ro

z3ro New Member

be carefull when leaving that stuff in your oil for that long. It will start to eat seals if the oil isnt in great condition
  9. Mean_Green_95

Mean_Green_95 New Member

IDK about the fuel injector cleaners and high octane fuel. Sry.

But when you do it for your oil, it cleans out any tid bit of junk where ever the oil get in your engine. The first time it looks horrible, the next couple of times it starts to look a lot better.

I drive 41 miles one way to school, twice a week, so it doesn't stay in there too long.
  10. Big_Ben

Big_Ben New Member

I'm going to switch back to regular for a few tanks anyways, just to avoid possible carbon build up in the fuel system, so I'll run some seafoam through with that.

I'll try it in the oil the next time I am about to change it - if I remember lol.

Thanks guys
  11. Silverado Junkie

Silverado Junkie New Member

Seafoam works awesome in your fuel. It cleans out your entire fuel system. But when it comes to your oil, the only additive i'd ever put in my oil is Lucas Oil Stabilizer. It cant be beat.
  12. ahm1127

ahm1127 New Member

Thanks for the info, I have been thinking of using the seafoam but now I will.
  13. Big_Ben

Big_Ben New Member

Use it in EVERYTHING! In some of my older snowmobiles it has even dulled down or removed the pinging sound from the engine!
  14. dwalsberg

dwalsberg New Member

Wow, I've never even thought about using seafoam. Is it only for older trucks?
  15. Big_Ben

Big_Ben New Member

Definitely not. Carbureted or Fuel Injected. Use it. I swear by it. If you are skeptical, use a small amount at first, then WHEN you notice a difference, put in the recommended amount.

Lawnmowers, quads, snowmobiles, cars, trucks, motorcycles, snowblowers

I've used it in all and have nothing but praise.
  16. Big_Ben

Big_Ben New Member

It's not to be used EVERY time you fill a tank of gas... I generally use it in the last two tanks of my snowmobile before storing it for summer, and the last two tanks of my boats before storing them for winter.

I also put a can in mid way through the season and possibly once again IF I am running the machines alot.

Put it in your truck every 3, 4, 6 or 12 months... it's up to you and also depends on how old the engine is. (Older usually using it more often)
  17. Loggerhead Mike

Loggerhead Mike New Member

seafoams good stuff but probably not the entire fix for your ruff idle

open the butterfly valve on your throttlebody and see how much carbon ya got in there. A quick trick but not a complete fix is to hold that valve open and spray a can of choke clean inside. wipe out all you can, when you go to crank the truck hold the pedal at WOT so you dont get a backfire. again not as good as a regular carbon clean service but it will help alot. May not be to noticble but if you monitor your fuel trim before and after you do it you'll see
  18. Big_Ben

Big_Ben New Member

There's a seafoam product for THAT too! :lol:

http://www.seafoamsales.com/how-to-use-sea-foam-spray.html

http://www.seafoamsales.com/sea-foam-spray.html :yes:

lol I swear I don't work for Seafoam, just really like the product!
  19. Loggerhead Mike

Loggerhead Mike New Member

never seen that before. thanks buddy

i stand by the stuff too, use it in the mower, 4wheelers ect
  20. offroadaddict

offroadaddict New Member

I think I'll give this a try today. I used BG fuel injector cleaner, stuff that gets sucked straight into the fuel rail after you disable the fuel pump.. after that I cleaned the TB and that all seemed to make an enormous difference.. but I still have a slight stumble at idle like an injector is stumbling. Its like $7-8 a can, so its worth a try to get the rest of the carbon out of the parts that the fuel system never touches.

But at the same time I've heard you're supposed to do the plugs after you suck Seafoam through the vacuum line...?