1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

I Seafoamed my truck today.

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by ZSI52, Mar 14, 2010.

1. PantheraUncia

PantheraUncia Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

Hi Skippy,

thanks :) I stand by techron for in the gas tank, but I use it maybe once per year. I don't want it to eat up the piston rings, and other gaskets if I use it too much.

I wonder when a good time to replace the injectors is? I have 215,000 on the truck..... I assume the larger the hole in the injector the more fuel that is entering the chamber and being burned up which would decrease the MPG's allot.
  2. dpeter

dpeter Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

Skippy, thank you for recognizing how outlandish that statement was at face value and i would also agree with your assessment of injector wear and the many factors that contribute to it. I, however, remain skeptical that off the shelf commercial additives would contribute to the wear of injectors any more than the fuel you get at the pump. Kind of like the George Carlon line about saliva- saliva has proven to be fatal but only when swallowed in small amounts over a long period of time.
  3. Skippy

Skippy Member 2 Years 100 Posts

4. Skippy

Personally, I do a full injector replacement at 150K miles. Virtually every engine I've seen blown resulted from a failed injector (typically too lean, resulting in burned valves). Granted, I don't do a lot of blown engines, as most times folks just toss them at that point to the junkyard. I've also run across the occasional stuck open injector that results in a "too rich" failure. This results in a costly catalytic converter destruction (too much fuel unburnt from the engine burns in the converter, destroying the catalyst.).

For me, the justification isn't just prevention of failure though. EVERY (and I mean EVERY) fuel injector replacement at 150K has resulted in about 1.5 MPG restoration and significant power returns. People often forget that just because the injector is pulsing, doesn't mean it's operating at new condition. When the ports are worn out, no amount of "cleaner" will restore the fine mist that results in great combustion.

The disclaimer is that I'm not a full time mechanic. I just do it as a hobby. My trend won't be someone elses.

Short answer: Now would be a good time, if you intend to keep the engine another 100K. :) They'll eventually pay for themselves over their lifespan in MPG, if not prevention of failure.
  5. ahm1127

ahm1127 Rockstar 100 Posts

Thats great Skippy, thanks for the info & I totally agree. The money we spend on after market stuff why wouldnt you spend the money on new injectors?
  6. Skippy

Especially when they're so blasted easy to replace! They don't even require unscrewing. :) One you remove the fuel rail pressure the rest is just bolts. I worked a '99 F150 that took less than 40 minutes start to finish (including cleanup) to replace the injectors. I think all it took was an 8mm and 10mm socket. Most of the time they're more like an hour or so, but still, it's one of the easiest "prevention/restorations" to perform. And one heck of a lot easier and cheaper than replacing a blown converter and/or needing a valve job.

Skippy.

-Jerry
  7. I was going to start my own Seafoam thread but I did a search and found this one so I'll just piggy-back.

Anyways, I have an '07 Silverado VortecMax (6.0L gas), lifted 6" on 35's w/ K&N FIPK and Magnaflow exhaust. It's got 66,xxx miles on it and oil is changed regularly. I don't always run the best gas though. I end up at no name gas stations, Arco, etc sometimes but I try to stick with 76, Chevron, Shell, Valero. I bought the truck just shy of 2 years ago. It always seemed to be well maintained but I have no service records from the previous owner.

So, a friend of mine who races imports has been blowing this product up to me for a couple months saying what a difference it makes in his vehicles power, throttle response, MPG, etc when he runs it about every 6 months. I figure my truck could use it. Anyone have any feedback as to what I can expect? I don't plan on running it through my engine oil as I just got my oil changed a week ago and I started running synthetic. I've heard not to let the Seafoam sit in your oil for too much longer than a couple hundred miles.

Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks in advance bros.
  8. Skippy

I've got the Vortec Max 6.0L in my 2006 1500. Same engine. While mine only has 58,000 miles, I ran seafoam through it about 6 months ago, and found that it improved the throttle response a bit. The engine was pretty clean though, as the Vortec Max engine is supposed to be running premium gas (at least that's what mine recommended, and the previous owner (i've had it for 3 years) ran Chevron exclusively.

There's nothing wrong with plain gas, btw. It just doesn't have the detergents the top tier suppliers add to it. It's the SAME base gasoline (they all get it from the same pipeline, the top tiers just add stuff to it. The cheaper gas will cause some build up if used regularly, but if you're running a top tier (e.g. Chevron), at least every 3rd tank, you'll find your engine is pretty clean. Mine was very clean, but I still found a bit of returned power.

I used the seafoam spray though the throttle body, and got good results. While you're doing that, you can also clean the throttle body and you'll find it'll help, too. Here's an article I wrote that'll explain how, if you've not done it before:
    http://www.ehow.com/how_8007216_perform-throttle-body-maintenance.html

Cheers,

Skippy