1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

I striped the rims and buffed out before the repaint in October.

Discussion in 'Photo & Video Gallery' started by kennythewelder, May 14, 2014.

1. kennythewelder

kennythewelder Active Member 100 Posts

I used spray on paint stripper on the rims then I painted the between the big spokes flat black and buffed out. If you ever wondered about doing this here is how mine came out. I'm very happy with mine paint and all. I'm also very happy with my new paint job, truck was repainted in October 2013
    DSCN1574.jpg DSCN1583.jpg DSCN1575.jpg DSCN1584.jpg
    Last edited: May 14, 2014
  2. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Those look good, did you use any type of preservative on the aluminium after buffing?
  3. kennythewelder

Thanks, no I just keep them waxed with meguairs clearner wax, same as I use on the truck, once I striped them with paint striper then I painted the flat black on them, and after the paint dried over night, I used a buffer and some polishing compound to shine them up, then I waxed them. That's it.
    Last edited: May 17, 2014
  4. poncho62

poncho62 Member 100 Posts

Looks good, mine need done big time....Did you have to sand pits and corrosion out?........What about the caps, did you buff them too?
  5. kennythewelder

buffed out rims

My rims didn't have any deep pits only little ones like where old wheel weights were, so I didn't sand anything, as for the caps it looks to me that they are stainless wrapped plastic. They were the easy part. I shined them up with the polishing compound after I removed them by just holding them in one hand. Maybe 5 min. per cap. I even waxed them before reinstalling. I'd half to say that tapping the rims to paint the flat black was the hardest part of the whole project.
    Last edited: May 19, 2014