1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

I think i blew a fuse need help plzz!!

Discussion in 'Lighting Discussion' started by txmj83, Dec 16, 2012.

1. txmj83

txmj83 New Member

Help me, I did somthing Stupid!!
    I bought some small driving lights yesterday. My thoughtwas to hook them up to the reverse lights for more light. I live in the countryand i have really dark windows so more light is needed. Worked great with onebut when i added the second one it blew something. I spliced into the reverselights them self’s. Now i have no reverse lights or cab lights. I have checkeda bunch of fuses can't find any blown. Weird thing tho, one light of the domewill work at a time??? Please help this is my DD and need it for work.
    Thanks

Chevy 1500
    2006 crew cab Z71

2. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Super Moderator 1000 Posts

You should have used a relay to control the aux lights. You may have damaged a larger fuse in the under hood box so check there. If you really have found no damaged fuses and relays then I'm not sure what is damaged.

Here is a diagram for when you redo the wires.
    fiamm_relay_diagram2.JPG
  3. txmj83

txmj83 New Member

Thank you for that diagram. Any idea where i would buy a relay like that?? Would i run the power from the battery? If so should i put the realy at the battery or run a power wire from the battery back to relay by the lights?? Thanks again for helping this shade tree tech, Hopefuly someone will post an anwser for me. I would hate to put it in the shop for something like this.
  4. Conlan Rose

It would be easier to keep the relay near the lights and just run a power line from the battery to the relay. I bought 5 for cheap on amazon I will post the link in a bit. The back up light on my truck is powered by a fused lead on the battery the runs to the relay that I mounted in back, I then attached the stock trailer back up light wire to the relay. I've had mine for almost a year now with no problems.

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005HFYE1O/ref=cm_sw_r_an_am_ap_am_us?ie=UTF8
  5. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member 1000 Posts

[MENTION=52248]Conlan Rose[/MENTION],
    Keep in mind, you just recommended that someone put a relay near the lights -- i.e. outside the vehicle -- and the relay/harness setup you linked is not environmentaly sealed. This means dust, salt, brine, etc. -will- impact the connection points over time. Some dielectric grease can be used to slow this process, but a sealed relay harness for exposed locations is still preferable.

Here's a sealed unit.
    -----
    Relay connector (w/ terminals and leads): http://www.waytekwire.com/item/75610/ISO-MINI-WEATHERPROOF-RELAY/
    Skirted Relay (for use in connector, above): http://www.waytekwire.com/item/75601/SKIRTED-MINI-RELAY-20-40A-SPDT/
  6. Conlan Rose

True, but I will say my relay which is fairly in the open hasn't had any problems. I may soon try to relocate it or better protect it. I recommended near the light so he would be able to use about half as much wire.
  7. zigger215

zigger215 New Member

Relays make the world go round'. Lol