I think i blew a fuse need help plzz!!

Discussion in 'Lighting Discussion' started by txmj83, Dec 16, 2012.

1. txmj83

txmj83 New Member

Help me, I did somthing Stupid!!
    I bought some small driving lights yesterday. My thoughtwas to hook them up to the reverse lights for more light. I live in the countryand i have really dark windows so more light is needed. Worked great with onebut when i added the second one it blew something. I spliced into the reverselights them self’s. Now i have no reverse lights or cab lights. I have checkeda bunch of fuses can't find any blown. Weird thing tho, one light of the domewill work at a time??? Please help this is my DD and need it for work.
    Thanks

Chevy 1500
    2006 crew cab Z71

2. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

You should have used a relay to control the aux lights. You may have damaged a larger fuse in the under hood box so check there. If you really have found no damaged fuses and relays then I'm not sure what is damaged.

Here is a diagram for when you redo the wires.
    fiamm_relay_diagram2.JPG

3. txmj83

txmj83 New Member

Thank you for that diagram. Any idea where i would buy a relay like that?? Would i run the power from the battery? If so should i put the realy at the battery or run a power wire from the battery back to relay by the lights?? Thanks again for helping this shade tree tech, Hopefuly someone will post an anwser for me. I would hate to put it in the shop for something like this.

4. Conlan Rose

It would be easier to keep the relay near the lights and just run a power line from the battery to the relay. I bought 5 for cheap on amazon I will post the link in a bit. The back up light on my truck is powered by a fused lead on the battery the runs to the relay that I mounted in back, I then attached the stock trailer back up light wire to the relay. I've had mine for almost a year now with no problems.

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005HFYE1O/ref=cm_sw_r_an_am_ap_am_us?ie=UTF8

5. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

[MENTION=52248]Conlan Rose[/MENTION],
    Keep in mind, you just recommended that someone put a relay near the lights -- i.e. outside the vehicle -- and the relay/harness setup you linked is not environmentaly sealed. This means dust, salt, brine, etc. -will- impact the connection points over time. Some dielectric grease can be used to slow this process, but a sealed relay harness for exposed locations is still preferable.

Here's a sealed unit.
    -----
    Relay connector (w/ terminals and leads): http://www.waytekwire.com/item/75610/ISO-MINI-WEATHERPROOF-RELAY/
    Skirted Relay (for use in connector, above): http://www.waytekwire.com/item/75601/SKIRTED-MINI-RELAY-20-40A-SPDT/

6. Conlan Rose

True, but I will say my relay which is fairly in the open hasn't had any problems. I may soon try to relocate it or better protect it. I recommended near the light so he would be able to use about half as much wire.

7. zigger215

zigger215 Member 2 Years 500 Posts

Relays make the world go round'. Lol