GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

I think I made the right grille choice

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Accessories' started by 2011laserblue, Mar 20, 2013.

1. 2011laserblue

2011laserblue New Member

As some of you may be aware, I was contemplating going back to the black mesh grille. Having the different grille on for 2 weeks now I can say that I think I made the right decision - what do you think?

[​IMG]

VS

[​IMG]

I feel the black looks much better because It really ties everything together. Looks like it sits higher w/o the running boards as well.

This year

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last Year

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  2. RayVoy

RayVoy Active Member

Much better, I've thought of doing the same to mine.

Love the painted bow-tie; did you paint an aftermarket? What did you do for the rear.

The trailer mirrors are a BIG improvement. Are they power, did you replace the door switch?
  3. 2011laserblue

2011laserblue New Member

No sir, that is the factory gold bowtie, and I did the rear as well. Yes I LOVE the trailer mirrors. They are power and I did not have to replace the door switch..everything worked the same, all plug and play. It has the signals in the side too, which my old mirrors didn't have! :great:

I plan on painting the outsides of the tailgate latch as well, that way there will only be that slim piece of chrome.

[​IMG]
  4. oxendale

oxendale New Member

I think both grilles look good, Im kinda a fan of the chrome myself but on your truck that black does look equally good. However im interested in where you got the mirrors from. It sounds like im in the same boat you were. I have a 2010 power mirrors but no blinker and want to buy the trailer mirrors with the blinker. Mine are also heated and I want to keep that option too. Were they hard to swap out?
  5. KyleZ71

KyleZ71 New Member

Defiantly like the black grille. My father's tahoe had the running boards removed when he purchased it; looks like it sits much higher than it does.
  6. 2011laserblue

2011laserblue New Member

I got the mirrors directly from the dealer's parts dept. I did have to sacrifice a pretty penny - but I really wanted them and figured it would be best to get "real" mirrors, not cheezy aftermarket ones. They were very easy to put on, like I said, all plug and play. I do not have the heated function - so I'm not sure how that will work..

Thanks! I really like the black a lot better. It is amazing how much taller vehicles look when the running boards aren't there! I was thinking about adding some n-fabs but now I'm not sure I even want to do that...I love how my truck is looking right now!
  7. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Moderator

I like it Big Time... Much better.... :great:
  8. 2011laserblue

2011laserblue New Member

Thanks Enkei!
  9. Pikey

Pikey Moderator

I am usually a big fan of chrome. But, I like it with the black grill and the running boards gone. Those mirrors look sweet. In my opinion the truck looks much better this year than last year. Now, time to paint the tailgate handle and bezel :great:
  10. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member

I've already rendered my opinion on the grille in another, prior response. :)

I'm not a fan of tow mirrors, myself -- they stick out too far and look like Obama's ears, to me, as a result. Thus, I tend to think they only belong on vehicles that need them for towing. But to each his/her own.
  11. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 New Member

Your truck is a work of art, not much room for improvement really. It looks good no matter what you do, keep up the great work!!
  12. FrigginNoodles

FrigginNoodles Member

Looking good there. Truck is coming right along. I think the grill looks sweet either way, the chrome works with the blue. I think the tailgate handle bezel being painted is a smart choice. Mirrors look sweet as well. Keep up the great work.
  13. 2011laserblue

2011laserblue New Member

Thanks for the compliments fellas! I really appreciate it.

Hahaha "stick out like Obama's ears"..thats hilarious. I can really see better with these mirrors vs my old ones, the main reason why I am so fond of them.

I had some other mods in mind...but I think I am going to hold off on them. As stated before, I do plan on a re-gear and Rigid Light bar (thanks to @SurrealOne and @aloxdaddy99) - I'm still trying to decide whether to go with the E series or SR series...to me the SR series was the answer, but after speaking with aloxdaddy99 , he went with the E series.

Tailgate latch will be painted....have also thought about painting the mirrors to match the truck as well. I've wanted the smoked LED taillights from recon forever....but I think I will wait for a while. SurrealOne and I have talked a few different times about doing "too much" to a truck to a point that it becomes tacky...which is what I am trying to avoid :great:

Thanks again for the compliments and input guys! All of you have excellent looking trucks as well!!
  14. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member

[MENTION=48830]2011laserblue[/MENTION],
    The 20" SR-series is 1.5" tall, produces 6400 lumens, and lists at $530 clams. The 20" E-series is 3 1/4" tall, produces 7900 lumens, and lists at 700 clams.

Measure the height of your bumper opening. If more than 2" tall then the SR-series will probably look too small for it. You really want the opening size to be very close to the bar size to get the cleanest look. Also, more light is better, right?
  15. UpsetProps

UpsetProps New Member

How much were the mirrors if you don't mind me asking? I plan on getting a set like that as well.
  16. Megasaurus

Megasaurus Member

Think it looks great. nice way to make it your own.
  17. 2011laserblue

2011laserblue New Member

Absolutely! I will definitely have to go take that measurement...the thing that makes me wonder about the E series is that after doing a TON of research...I have only seen the E series on 2011+ HD's...they have a much larger opening than I do. Here is the image directly from NCT:

[​IMG]

It wont matter when I figure out how large my opening is after I take the measurements...if the E series will fit, I will get that...but if it doesn't I obviously wont have a choice. I know that aloxdaddy99 got the E series from NCT - and after some trouble with the installation and when he contacted NCT they said that there was a mistake on the website it says it works on the 1500's...but the kit was specifically designed for the HD's. Supposedly they are working on a custom mount for the 1/2 tons..I will be interested to see what they come up with. If hypothetically the E series will not fit, do you think it is worth the money for the SR series? 6400 lumens should still be pretty bright so I think I answered my own question. How are you liking your lights Surreal? You got the SR series if I'm not mistaken?

I payed about 300 for the mirrors from the parts department at the dealership - they gave me a deal. Because it a "Genuine GM Accessory"...its marked up a ton. I'm unsure about the "base price"...my guess would be anywhere between $350-$400.

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you!
  18. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member

Ugh, I've been helping someone move (and moving, myself) and hadn't heard from [MENTION=40941]aloxdaddy99[/MENTION] that he had mount problems. Frankly, if the E-series bar fits then it's easy enough to fab a pair of mounts. (I did my own... and I have next to no metalworking skills -- just a lot of initiative, patience, a vise, and a grinder!)

6400 lumens is, indeed, plenty bright. If the E-series won't fit then the SR's are the logical alternative.

As for my installation, I love my bars. I have the SR10DW's (alt ID 91061) in white. These are the driving lights at 1.5" tall x 10" wide. Each of these bars produces 5100 lumens and draws only 3.7 amps. (I use a 10amp fuse for the pair in my relay box.) It's like daylight in front of me with lows, fogs, and highs on (due to the diode mod) in conjunction with both bars.

Maybe [MENTION=52280]nakranij[/MENTION] will be kind enough to take a high quality pic of the front-end of my truck all lit up, sometime. The ones I've taken with my android phone look terrible, so I've not posted them.
  19. PantheraUncia

PantheraUncia New Member

It may have to be a few weeks.... but let me know when.
  20. 2011laserblue

2011laserblue New Member

Well, after some measurements today...it looks like it is going to be the SR series - the opening is only 2".