1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

I think I messed up.

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by skullblaster, Aug 8, 2012.

1. skullblaster

skullblaster New Member

Well, here we go again. I pulled apart my 700R4, and the one out of a Caprice that my wife bought, Swapped the tail shafts so it would work with my t-case in my Suburban. I just took it out on the road, and have some slippage when I start out in first. It also acts like drive, or third, is a lower gear. Did I put the stinkin' thing together wrong?
  2. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 1000 Posts

Wait, more details please? Was it operating properly before in the caprice? What engine are you hooked up to?
  3. skullblaster

skullblaster New Member

The tranny worked fine in the car. I have it bolted to a 350, there's about 750 miles on the engine. I don't know if I put a clutch pack in wrong, or what I might have done. I have not done much transmission work before. I am not sure why it is either not shifting into drive, or if drive is installed wrong.
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2012
  4. skullblaster

skullblaster New Member

From what I am finding on this and other sites, Bowtie Overdrives has a good page set up at http://www.tvmadeez.com/article/index.php, it is still my TV cable causing me trouble. I'm going to take it to a friend who knopws a whole lot more than I do about these things.
  5. skullblaster

skullblaster New Member

So, I put a new TV cable in, and set it correctly. From the short drive I took, it seems to have fixed the problem. I'll know more when I drive farther. Thanks for all the help and advice all of you have given the last few months. I needed all of it.
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2012
  6. skullblaster

skullblaster New Member

I was wrong! transmission is still slipping and will not shift after second. When starting from a stop sign, It will not shift without running higher rpms than usual. Without a tach, I am guessing it had to be up at 5000, or more. Trying to get home from church with the wife and kids yesterday was not easy.