1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

i think my motor just blew:s

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by kawasaki_kid, Apr 23, 2010.

1. zuki82

zuki82 Member 1 Year 100 Posts

Dana, you have an engineering anomaly, a freak of nature!!! I'v put well over 100k on a couple of 4.3 vortexs myself! So I think your missing something when your doing your engine work Gerald ! I know there's a couple of tiny O-rings in there somewhere that if you skip them or use the old ones, you'll get problems!
  2. geraldc

geraldc New Member

Suburban is not same as truck if you care to look. I am very glad you have had no problem. Many trucks are having these problems.
  3. the phantom

the phantom Active Member 2 Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

Ha, Kinda funny how old this was but I read it anyway... Ive heard of the 4.3 liter having common intake gasket issues but thats all I have heard of.
  4. Dana W

Dana W Member 2 Years 100 Posts

You know, now that you mention it, my suburban does look a lot different than a Silverado. Funny, I never noticed that before. The whole back end is closed in.:gasp:

Be that as it may, you were talking about the 350 Vortec which is identical in both vehicles, given the same year.

Maybe you should replace your motor with THIS MOTOR. It will suit your purposes much better.
  5. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

I agree with Dana here. My 96 Tahoe with the first year of 350 Vortec in is has 204,780+ miles on it and is still running strong as can be. Have I replaced a few gaskets along the way? Yes but that's regular maintenance on a 200,000+ mile truck. These motors are built to last if you take care of them and just follow the service schedule. I don't even baby my truck I drive it hard very often.
  6. Dana W

Dana W Member 2 Years 100 Posts

Yup, mine hauled a 3,000 lb. custom made pig roaster all over the country for five or six years, cookin' up some pulled pork for folks from Jacksonville to Calgary. The engine is still runnin' like a electric sewing machine with only minor repairs and tune ups, here and there. The previous owner did the pig roasts, not me. No calls please.:lol:

I am figuring anybody who had any 350 blow up prior to 200,000 m. probably beat the crap out of the thing.(unless it was in a Camaro or Corvette)
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2013
  7. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

That is unusual-my 1998 has 224,500 miles now-last 30,000 and 6.5 years are mine.
    I did have the intake manifold leak-and I'm not convinced it is fixed-but I lazily had someone else do the intake gasket job-they screwed EVERYTHING up that I have checked-cross threaded oil drain screw/bolt-the harmonic balancer bolt into the freakin crank- several oil pan screws-so no reason to think he didn't screw up the install 3 years back.

But the engine is very good-vehicle -for a $2950 195,000 mile vehicle-has been very reliable-good mpg too.

- - - Updated - - -

That is unusual-my 1998 has 224,500 miles now-last 30,000 and 6.5 years are mine.
    I did have the intake manifold leak-and I'm not convinced it is fixed-but I lazily had someone else do the intake gasket job-they screwed EVERYTHING up that I have checked-cross threaded oil drain screw/bolt-the harmonic balancer bolt into the freakin crank- several oil pan screws-so no reason to think he didn't screw up the install 3 years back.

But the engine is very good-vehicle -for a $2950 195,000 mile vehicle-has been very reliable-good mpg too.