I want a Chevy truck for my first car!

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Talk & GM News' started by John9721, Feb 4, 2014.

1. John9721

John9721 New Member

Hey guys, new member here although I've been reading the site for quite a while. I'm 16 (turning 17 in 11 days) and I'm saving to buy a truck. Right now I drive my dads 2004 F150 (Unfortunate, I know) for work and school, but he's ready to start driving it again (he has a company car that he uses) so I am looking to get my first car (thats actually mine). I've had my heart set on a K1500 series since they seem to run so long (3 in the family) and I love the way they look. Budgets around $2000 (all mine, will be purchasing in 6 months or less) Looking for an extended cab 4x4 with the 350 or 305. Gas mileage isn't an issue, I only get 11-14 now in the F-150. Basically my question is, is this a good first car? Are there any problems I need to look for? Thanks!

2. Camaro69car

Camaro69car Member 1 Year 100 Posts

solid platform. keep an eye out for rust. and wear your seatbelt.

and it will be better than the ford, which is all that matters

(Ford spelled backwards stands for Driver Returns On Foot)

3. ChevyFan

ChevyFan The Sheriff Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh, to be young again.

We get this type of post a few times each year, but you've clearly done your homework so my hat's off to you.

4. dsfloyd

dsfloyd Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

Sounds like you already have an idea of what you want. As stated before check for rust. I would go 350. Lots of parts cheap and easy. Happy birthday in 11 days as well. Good to see a youngin using their own money to buy their first car. :great:

5. csltrains96

csltrains96 Rockstar 100 Posts

You didn't specify how old you are willing to go on your first truck. I have a '92 K1500, short bed, 5.7L gas engine that I'm looking to sell. It's only a regular cab, though. The only downfalls are that it has a salvage title, and needs a new grille and the hood realigned to fit right. I traded it to my father-in-law for a '96 Dodge Caravan. Figured I could get my money out of the truck a lot easier than the minivan.

6. 91 BOWTIE

91 BOWTIE New Member

I have a 2000 2500 short bed extended cab for sale hit me up if you're interested.

7. GM Customer Service

GM Customer Service Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

John9721

Welcome to the forum! Happy early birthday! I understand that you are seeking your fellow forum member’s option but I just wanted to stop by and let you know that GM Customer Care is here on the forum. We will be happy to assist you when you purchase your truck if you have any general questions or concerns.

Jennifer T.
    GM Customer Care

8. Char

Char New Member

I got the truck i still have today when i turned 16. It had about 135,000 miles on it and it ran great. Now getting close to 200,000 its still running strong. Ive only ever had 2 issues and they are very recent and very common. The fuel level sensor in the fuel pump went out before i even got the truck but it was like $40 online and me and my dad took the bed off and it took about an hour to do. And the instrument cluster is starting to act crazy so i ordered a new one on ebay. But as long as you take care of it and do the regular stuff youll be good to go. Older Chevys are so easy to work on also.

9. Rocketmanh5

Rocketmanh5 Rockstar 100 Posts

As earlier happy early birthday! When you say 305 or 350 I assume your speaking of the k1500 of the 90s era. Great models and are somewhat bullet proof if your proper care and maintenance are done at the correct intervals. For $2k you should be able to find one that has not been ragged out. Search for one that is currently owned by an older gentleman that has used it as his daily driver and DOES NOT have a 5th wheel in the bed. Stock exhaust is usually a plus as it shows it's never been tampered with. Check the oil cap on the valve cover, see if any sludge has built up on it from drawn out oil changes. Some build up from time may be present. Shine a light down the filler neck and check to see if the rocker arms and springs look clean the best you can. Also here some build up may be normal but chunky sludge is a turn away. Check the oil pressure while driving it to see if it fluctuates while driving. Ask if the oil pump has ever been changed due to failure. The 350s/305s in our area all tend to have oil pressure issues and pump failures at 200-250k miles.

If the owner or car lot lets you have a decent size floor jack with you and a pry bar. Jack each side of the front end up and check for slack in the tie rod end, ball joints, and wheel bearings to estimate how much you are going to end up putting into the vehicle in a month or so on top of the cost of it. Or an easier way is to get your dad(since your under 18 and most car dealers don't let minors drive away alone) to bring the truck to a reputable shop in your town that you may know to have it checked over. Most will want to charge you either way broken or not but worth a shot. RUST as stated above. If your area has hard winters where they salt the road then check the inner fenders and fender corners along with the under side for rust. If you were in my area I'd be glad to come with you and check all this out for you. I always go with my friends when they are looking at vehicles. I don't want anyone to get a bad deal. I'll think of a few more things and edit if needed.