1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

I want a new differential

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by CarpenterGuy, Aug 23, 2008.

1. CarpenterGuy

CarpenterGuy New Member 100 Posts

Where can I get a new differential that also has that Eaton diff. lock, or a diff. lock in general. I need one with a higher ratio. I'm not really sure what mine is righ tnow though. does anyone know how to find it?
  2. MrShorty

MrShorty Moderator Staff Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

If you know you're still running the factory gear ratio, you can look at the RPO code list in the glove box.

As for finding a "gov-bomb" You shouldn't have too much trouble finding one in a junkyard somewhere. If you want an aftermarket locker, it will probably be easier to just rebuild your existing differential with whatever you want to put in there.
  3. Pete95Sierra

Pete95Sierra New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

yea find a junkyard axle but it may be hard to find one with the specs you want. if you cant find one than your gonna have to get new gears and an aftermarket locker. a set of 4.10-4.56 gears is gonna run you around $500 and a rear locker will run you between $500-$1000 depending on brand.
  4. CarpenterGuy

CarpenterGuy New Member 100 Posts

Ha. i'm just going to forget i wanted to change up the gear ratio. I might look at it later down the road though if my trailing load increases.