1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

I Want an Electric Fan to Get Rid Of The Noisy Belt Fan, I have a few concerns about

Discussion in 'Chevy C/K Truck Forum' started by xJohnDoe001x, Feb 14, 2014.

1. xJohnDoe001x

xJohnDoe001x New Member

Friends, I have a '90 GMC C1500 with a 5.7"TBI and I want to go from belt driven to dual electric radiator cooling fans. What dreadful problems does this endeavor bestow upon my over taxed brain my and waning strength.
    Will a two fan model along with two four hundred watt amps put too much of a load my system? I'm not a Always on and Always Maxed Volume fellow.

What brands and models should I consider?
    Sincerely xJohnDoex
  2. zuki82

zuki82 New Member

A trip to Summit auto online for a thermo switch and get the fans while your there! If you have a pull yer own parts place, get the fans out of a caddy! Its not hard to swap out, its just a bunch of thinking to mount the fans, where to put the switch,,, ect,,ect! I cheated in my tracker, since the ac didn't work, I just used that switch, when I see it getting warm, like at a long light, I just turn on the AC!
  3. 88k2500

88k2500 New Member

You can buy the kit at summit and then the fans will have low speed and hi speed as cars with them as factory equipment do. As for that with the amps, one the fans wont be on all the time and two the amps will only draw alot of power when the volume is at a higher level. You can locate an auto electronic shop and ask about having your alternator built up a bit or summit sells some with higher outputs. You can also invest in a 1 or 2 farad capacitor that connects to your power and ground feeds of the amp. This will absorb most of the power spikes that occur from having an audio system
  4. Jamm3r

Jamm3r New Member

Is the electric conversion the way to go? I have a metal fan that is loud because it isn't quite straight and was thinking of upgrading to one of the composite fans, but that requires a new fan clutch and will be a $150 project.
  5. xJohnDoe001x

xJohnDoe001x New Member

Now that you mentioned it I am starting to think my fan clutch is the problem, that's the purpose of the thing, to quiet the fan when it's not needed. Mine seems to always be engaged, all my other problems with fan clutches were the opposite, overheating because it didn't engage.

ANYWAY I'VE DECIDED TO PUT THIS TASK OFF UNTIL A MORE CONVENIENT TIME
    This White Elephant has more pressing issues, like rebuilding all five brake cylinders, flushing and readjusting everything.
    Thanx to all you fine friends for your responses.